1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Borla sounds compared to Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla sounds compared to Flowmaster

I am sure there are tons of posts about exhaust, but can anyone describe how the borla mufflers sound compared to the flowmaster 40, 50, and 70 series. Flowmaster does a good job of describing and showing charts, but Borla says they don't put sound clips or detailed explanations I guess, cause you don't get the actual sound from clips. Anyway, just looking for someone's opinion on how borla's sound compared to the different types of flowmasters. I used to have a 40 series on my avalanche and ended up taking it off because the interior was too loud. Now I have a 5.9 liter durango and am looking for something louder, but not too loud inside. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
scientist
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Borla sounds compared to Flowmaster

I have the borla cat back exhaust on the 5.9. It is considerably louder than stock. Most passengers riding in the truck notice it right away but are not irritated by the growl. Borla has a clip of the sound on their web site for one of the systems on the Durango it sounds close to as it would in person. In my opinion I like it and the fact that it is a one time expense but I would not have expected the polished tip to rust after 4 years. The rest of the pipes and the muffler are Stainless Steel and are spotless.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie

Oh yeah, what about Gibson also? I am still not sure if I want to spend the extra on stainless from any company (so Borla is out if I decide against that), but I just wonder how loud these will actually be inside the durango. I mean the 40 series was super loud on the highway in my Avalanche so much that is finally annoyed me on my way home from work each day. It sounded awesome outside, but in was way too loud inside.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM
scientist
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: trbmbennett

Oh yeah, what about Gibson also?
I opted against Gibson because they state clearly not for use with towing. I tow frequently so did not want to blow out the muffler.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie

Any other opinions? I can't decide between all these makers. Magnaflow, gibson, dynomax, flowmaster, borla. How do you decide?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my FM40 (original which is even louder than the super 40). I thought it wasn't loud enough at first but it has broken in quite nicely and has the perfect grumble. Yes I can hear it in the cab and no I don't care and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 AM
trbmbennett
Rookie

Well, I have 3 kids, so want the interior noise to be low, but outside loud. What would be the best for this?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Lil Red Mopar
Rookie

I switched my FM out for a Cherry Bomb glass pack I picked up at the local auto parts store for $24.99. The FM 70was $130. The Cherry Bomb is really loud inside and out as it is open straight through, no baffles deltas ect... looks pretty much like a staight pipe.

I have 3 kids also, the 6 year old sits in the third row by herself, my 22 month old son, new born daugter, and mom sit in the second row and the Cherry Bomb scream'n and pop'n when you let off the throttle at 80mph on the freeway dosen't prevent all three kids falling asleep on a short 20 min trip. My son however gets nevous if I fire it up before he gets in.

Anyways if ya want loud, the kind of loud that makes the cops look even when you're start'n off easy the Cherry Bomb is about a few notches away from no muffler.(I fired mine up with only the y pipes and cat hooked up before I installed the Cherry Bomb, it was tempting to leave it that way)

Anyways I got it for 24.99+Tax at Checker, I got an '01 2WD 5.9L if yours is the same it takes a 2 1/2" inlet & out let the part # is 87516 the dimensions are 29 1/2 overall length and 26" long from inside to inside of the couplings.It only took me an hour to do the job. If you DIY it, it's cheap and easy, you'll need some clamps and some adapter pipe ( a single piece2 1/2" ID on one side and 2 1/2" OD on the other) scope it out and measure it up and be sure not to cut out the parts with the hangers on 'em. A sawzall will speed up the cutting, but be careful as one slip can cost big bucks, if you have rear air there's ac and heater core lines running above the exhaust to watch out for, you definately don't want to nip an ac line.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM
deerang
All Star

scream'n and pop'n when you let off the throttle at 80mph on the freeway
thats my favourite part of my loud exhaust.....the pop'n when you let off

Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well from what I understand you may want to go with a borla setup since they have a resonance shield that will block the sound from coming into the D somewhat, you may also want to look at the fm50 suv exhaust. It is quieter than mine. Hell most are other than cherry bombs and straight pipes, both of whichdon't have the sound I like, way too raspy...

Quick Reply: Borla sounds compared to Flowmaster