1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is it overheating???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:33 PM
texas76
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it overheating???

I have a 2000 Durango with 103,000 miles on it within the past summer we have replaced the radiator the bipass hose some other major hose the ac cooling fan and I don't know if I am just paranoid but even after the ac cooling fan I notice when I am sitting in traffic the temperature gauge will creep up to the middle line and then slightly over it but it doesn't go all the way to the red and usually when I take off it goes back down the fan is working and we had that repalced about 1/1/2 years ago and it doesn't do this at night. My husband says it's just because it's so hot outside and if there was a problem it would do it all the time no lights ever come on and nothing ever leaks and we replced the thermostat at the same time as the bipass hose. So I guess what I am wondering is what does your tem gauge read when everything is running good??

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Is it overheating???

Sounds like you need to forward and reverse flush the radiator. Most radiator shops charge about $80 for this. There is the cheaper way. Things to look at is to make sure the fins in the condenser are clean of debris. Take it to the car wash open the hood and spray out the condenser and radiator really good and see if that cures your problem. This is only a coupleof bucks.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you check the fan clutch. The electric fan is not enough to cool the Durango on its own. I personally experienced this myself. After replacing the mechanical clutch fan, my D is running cool again. Also, you did not mentioned whether or not you had the water pump check and/or replaced.You may need to look into that. If you do replace the pump, might as well replace the fan clutchat the same time. Save you some labor cost if you have someone else do it.

Also, to remind you, never let the durango overheat for too long, you will eventually run into serious engine trouble. Apparently the Mopar engines cannot tolerate excess heat for extended period of time.

Anytime you see the temperatur gauge reaches 210 and beyond, the onboard computer will put your Durango in limp mode. Meaning, you will notice lose of power, and poor gas mileage. This is a safety feature by Mopar to prevent you from further overworking the engine.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T76:
From your description it sounds like your cooling system is operating properly. That being said, if you have not flushed the system in the last 3 yrs or 36k I would do it soon. You might alsoconsiderchanging your coolant to one of the newer long lifetypes such as Prestone G-05 amber colored antfreeze. It is rated to last for the life of the vehicle which I am not completely sold on, but I have no trouble running it for 50k or better to see what happens.

Don

Quick Reply: Is it overheating???