1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

just bought a used 01 durango

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 PM
akgriffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a used 01 durango

My wife and i just bought a used 01' durango slt 4x4 with 56k miles on it. She had a mitsibishi montero sport until 3 wks ago when some yaahoo's stole her car and totalled it. I just had oil change, plugs, k&n air filter, and a can of freon put in. If it sets running longer than 5-10 min it gets hot. The a/c even with a new can of freon added doesnt get cold. With the fan on high, it just doesnt blow real hard. I have read alot off posts of ppl that hate thier D's, but i like it and just want a decent car. I aint even got to sling mud with the 4 wheel drive unit yet. can anyone me and my mechanic out??

Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: just bought a used 01 durango

Well the ac in these things leave a lot to be desired, especially after driving an import. One thing you may want to do is wrap the cold ac line. That will help somewhat and won't cost you too much $$$ to do. Do a search on colder ac or the likes and you'll see my post on it.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
akgriffin

Hmmm, nice idea, i will have to try that.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AKG:

It does seem like a number of folks here have had A/C issues. Knock on wood, my 01 is at 63K and IMO works really well.
Does yours have the rear A/C?? I know when I test drove an 01 without it on a 90 degree day, my then 10 year old in the third row seats said he was baking.

Anyway, first off, make sure that the electric helper fan that sits in front of your larger mechanical fan is running. It should run any time the A/C is on. Second, the 01-03 models are known for issues with the fan resistor pack which can either cause the blower to run only on high, very slowly, or not at all.

If your A/C condenser which sits in front of the radiator is clogged with bugs and junk, get the hose out and give it a good hosing off. I regularly do this as mine seems to pick up bugs and milkweed like a magnet.

Lastly, the good old fan clutch for the main fan can get old and not be doing its job as well. I would suspect though that if this were the case you would be seeing some tendancy to over heat. What kind of readings is your temp guage giving you????

Don

Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
akgriffin

On a day like this, when its 101, if you set at a long light to long it will quickly hit the danger high area.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM
akgriffin

Crap i hate when i hit the wrong buttons.... i checked last night and the little electric fan is not working. Im gonna go buy a new resister pak tomarrow. I will also have my mechanic check the fan to see if the fan motor is burned up.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Mean Green
Champion

If you are talking about the efan behind the radiator then I would look at switching the relay/fuse before ripping the fan out., the resistor pack is for the ac blower motor in the dash.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
akgriffin

Yean MG, my bad, gonna buy a new relay.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 PM
akgriffin

Well i put a new clutch fan in, and i found out that someone had disconnected the e-fan, and glory be it works. The temp stayed below half way on the gauge. The a/c is now working colder, but still not cold enough for my opinion. its 101 with heat index of 109 and its alot colder than it used to be, i would think it was cooler without a/c cause of the black leather interior. Im still gonna put a new relay in and hopefully this payday buy some header tape and do what MG did, and insulate and heat wrap the cold a/c line. Get the front end alignment done tomarrow and this thing should be ready to rock.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Lucky you, I wouldn't bother with the relay since it works now.

Quick Reply: just bought a used 01 durango