1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What coolant should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 AM
DDSXT
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What coolant should I use?

Is it best to use the Mopar brand or is there something I can buy at an auto part store that's just as good?

Thanks...

Old 08-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What coolant should I use?

I have started hearing about wetter water or something along those lines and I'm hearing good things on the cooling power of it. Otherwise go with Prestone or another big name.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker

DD:

If you are just doing a drain and refill, I would go back with the factory stuff. However, if you are going to do a proper/complete flush and refill, you should considing going toa newer longer life coolant such as the Prestone Global G05 coolant.I just did this for my 01 on the 60k service. So far, very happy and the color of it is amber. Also, supposed to be good for the life of the vehicle. I am not sure about that point yet, but I will run it for a good while and see how it does.

Don

Old 08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
scientist
Rookie

I have been using Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant since 30K and have never had an issue with the cooling system. I'm at 180K now and I still have original radiatior, water pump, and thermostat. I also tow and never had it reach over 220 even in standing in traffic in 90 degree weather. The schedule I keep is flush and clean the cooling system every 2 years. The mixture ratio I use is 70% coolant and 30% distilled water. Distilled water can be purchased in the grocery storeis important to use it because it has no chemicals. Do not use tap or spring water you will get corrosion over time. Oh yeah make sure you get the green extended life and not the GM dexcool one.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
bigbaddurango
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weter water i used in my mud truckit was just a addetive. As far as The factory stuff i bet it is maid bye prestone or something anyway didnt they change the coolant to the newer stuff when did they do that? was 03

Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just use the good ole Prestone antifreeze, not the realy expensive stuff. I flush my system every year regardless if it is still good or not. Easier to keep with maintenance by just schedulinga once a year changeout instead of every 2 years. That's toofar out for me to remember. Plusliving in the DFW area were we get thesometimes very cold winters andalwaysvery hot summers, Antifreeze get a good workover.

Quick Reply: What coolant should I use?