1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement shocks

Local auto shop just put on 4 monroe sensi track shocks on our 2002 durango. Should they have used the reflex shocks? Which ones are the better of the monroe brand? Thanks.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Replacement shocks

I am using Monroe Reflexes. I think the sensatracks are a little softer on ride than the reflexes. Depends on your D and how comfortable you want your ride. Both Monroe models are lifetime warranty.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie

Excuse my ignorance, but is softer on ride bad? What advantage do the reflex give then? Better for off roading or something? Thanks!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: trbmbennett

Excuse my ignorance, but is softer on ride bad? What advantage do the reflex give then? Better for off roading or something? Thanks!
It's not bad, it's not good. It's what it is design for. My R/T model has a stiffer sports suspension so naturally I want a performance shock to match up. So when my R/T hits the little bumps and what not, I can feel them.

But your D may just have a regular suspension. To give more of a smooth luxurious ride. I would say if you run into some little bumps, you may not feel them as if your D just floated over the bumps.

This is the examples of softer comfortable ride or harder stiffer rides.

I would say that Reflexes are better for offroading as you would have little more control and ride handling vs the sensatracks. But reflexes are stiffer shocks so on/off roading, your D will ride stiffer vs the sensatracks.

Kinda picture the sensatracks on aLincon towncar and the reflexes on a sports car.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie

That makes sense. I guess since I never do any off roading, I will just stay with the sensa tracs and get the most smooth ride I can on normal driving.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trmb:

No matter what you put on your D, you are still going to feel some bumps as you might recall the 1st gen D is built from the Dakota truck platform. In my case, I too enjoy a sporty ride in my SLT, so when I ditched the oem crap at 60kI went back with Bilsteins and so far am very pleased. You will find as well that with a few hundred pounds in the back the ride will smooth out quite a bit.

Don

Old 08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
trbmbennett
Rookie

Yeah, I figured it was a basic truck underneath still. Well, we never take it off roading, so I guess we will just stick with the sensitac monroes.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 PM
moparcrazy63

Monroe Reflex shocks are better. There are supposed to provide a stiffer ride to prevent the body roll that factory 2002 Durango's have. I almost got a set of those put in my Durango, only problem was I was going out of town and wantedshocks installedbefore my trip. So, instead I opted for 4 Rancho RS5000 shocks which are supposed to be equivalent to Monroe Reflex shocks. They helped, that and since my original tires (Goodyear Eagles)had 48K original miles I got some new Firestone Destination LE's. Goodbye body roll problem. The ride is nice and stiff now!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those RS5000's are the adjustable ones right?

Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Those RS5000's are the adjustable ones right?
nope, the RS9000's are the adjustable ones... the RSX's are self adjusting.

Quick Reply: Replacement shocks