1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

engine speed coasting

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine speed coasting

Hello there i have a 2000 durango with the 5.2L engine. it has 160000 miles on it. Recently i noticed that sometimes when im driving over 45mph and i let my foot off the gas to coast it keeps going and holding the engine speed up. and occasionally ill be sitting at a stop light and the engine will rev up and jerk the car forward because im not pushing the brake that hard. could this be a throttle position snesor or what else. it does not have the check engine light on.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: engine speed coasting

I would deifintitely change the TPS and see where that gets you.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
The Law
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine speed coasting

I just went through a similar thing where my engine would race a bit, cruise control did not work quite right. I replaced the TPS - Throttle Position Sensor - ($40 from autozone). The sensor was a very easy replacement.....2 screws and a gasket...about 10 mins.

As ur looking at the engine from standing in front of the vehicle, the sensor is in the middle, near the firewall, on top and facing the rightand is in plain view. Pull off the connector, unscrew, install the new one in reverse (mine came w/2 gaskets...had to choose which one to use)...fire up the willing engine.

You prolly don't want to work on a hot engine

hope this helps!

Quick Reply: engine speed coasting