1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C, Front Vents Problem (Vacuum?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 01:58 AM
KDC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C, Front Vents Problem (Vacuum?)

Hi,

I have a 1999 Durango (5.9 L. Engine) that just started having odd problems with the front air vents and A/C. The vents across the dash do not work. The blowers & fans work. The defrost works and the air to the feet work. It is only the vents across the fornt that don’t (either in pure vent mode or A/C mode.)

Today I discovered that if I have the selector **** at the off position when I first start the truck, then turn it to A/C, the air comes out of the vents as normal (not cold though). If then I switch it to defrost or feet (it switches fine to either of those) then back to Vent or A/C the air will not come out of the vents – it remains either at defrost or feet. If I turn off the truck, move the selector **** between the various options (feet, defrost, etc) I hear air escaping (or vacuum equalizing). I can then again start the truck with the selector dial in the off position, then turn it to A/C or Vent and air will come out of the front vents as normal.

From all of this I am guessing it is a vacuum problem. (Could be wrong, but that is my guess.) I am hoping to avoid taking the dash off. How do I trace the associated vacuum lines, where is the most likely area to find the leak and how would I recognize it if I am looking at it?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!
KDC

Old 06-18-2005, 03:52 AM
KDC
Default RE: A/C, Front Vents Problem (Vacuum?)

One Addition:

When I fiddle around as described above and get air flowing out of the front vents I still cannot get any A/C. The air is lukewarm at best. If I crank the heat **** I get hot air but when turned all the way down no A/C.

The compressor is running but only in short (2 to 3 second) bursts. Is there a temperature adjustment or thermostat I need to replace? I checked the coolant pressure and it is good.

Are these two separate problems or are they related?

Help?
KDC

Old 06-19-2005, 12:15 AM
hvac9500

I have a 05. This past weekend on the expressway the air stopped coming out of the front vents, but the fan would run. The rear air would still work. If I would stop for at least 1/2 hour or so the air would work again? I could not get air out of the defrost, the floor or the dash. Its is working fine now.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:03 PM
celestial13

[
I have a 2001 Durango SLT. The air only comes out thru the defrost!! I turn the control **** to any other vent and NOTHING!! Just the defrost. The A/C works great...thru that vent. The rear doesn't work. The fan is on and sounds like it is working but no air flow thru any rear vents. I took it to Dodge and they said I need to replace the heater/AC control Mod. At $477.50, my hubby is frustrated. Anyone have this replaced and the problem fixed? If you look back at the forum in 2003-2004, many other Durango owners had the same problem. [:@] Frustrated in HOT Nevada and need some air blowin' in my face!!
Thanks
Shannon

Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
NYSSM

I also have a 2001 SLT with A/C issues. When the truck is in motion the A/C control is in the normal mode (not max A/C) the air blows cold and strong but as soon as I stop the temp of the air warms up. If I move the settings to max the air blows cold all the time

Old 06-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Digitoxin
Professional

The compressor cycling (on, off) every 2-3 seconds is most likly because the a/c system is low on refrigerant.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 AM
BASECAMP

Did you ever find a fix for your problem of no air coming out the front vents?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Compressor intermittent operation could mean low freon or clogged H valve.

Air vent problems could be a vacuum line issue but I may bet it may be more of blend door within the HVAC unit that may be stuck or mis-aligned.

Quick Reply: A/C, Front Vents Problem (Vacuum?)