1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C problem 2002 Durango 4.7 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:08 PM
duce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem 2002 Durango 4.7 4WD

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum, hoping someone can help me out here. My 2002 Durango is not always blowing cold air when the a/c is on. I've recharged the system 2 times, the first time it blew cold air consistently for about a month, then quit blowing cold air recently. Today I checked the pressure which read 0psi. Went to Autozone and bought three 13oz cans of R134 w/stop leak for high mileage vehicles. The air temp. at the time of doing this was 89 degrees, so my guage said the pressure should 50-55 psi. 1st can brought itto 20psi, 2nd can to about 40psi. At this time she's blowing cold air. Start with 3rd can to bring it to 50psi, and the guage shows the pressure dropping back down to 20psi. The a/c blew cold air for approximately 5min then started blowing warm again. I get back under the hood and compressor made a sound like a bug zapper, did this2 times. Each time it happened it vented I'm guessing the R134 from the top of the compressor for about1 second. The fan clutch keeps engaging and disengaging, when engaged obviously it blows cold air, and doesn't when its not At that point I shut the engine off. I'm comfortable working under the hood, not a newbie, but a/c systems are not my thing.If I can avoid taking her to the dealership or garage I will. Any ideas? Is the fan clutch bad? Is the compressor going bad? Major leak to the point that the sealant in the R134 can't stop the leak?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A/C problem 2002 Durango 4.7 4WD

It definitely sounds like a big leak, I would follow your lines and see where it is coming out and go from there...

Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: A/C problem 2002 Durango 4.7 4WD

Hmmm, It may have been overfilled which cause it to blow excess freon to prevent your system from blowing up. You will have to connect the high side of your A/C system to get a reading to confirm that your H valve is not clogged up due to comtamination.

Just repeatly adding freon to the system is a very short term fix and get expensive too not to mention increasing your chances of introduce external comtaminants to enter the system everytime you recharge the system.

Quick Reply: A/C problem 2002 Durango 4.7 4WD