1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Why does my 99 Durango keep dying?? help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
christygr97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my 99 Durango keep dying?? help

This has been a big problem lately. Whenever the Durango is idling it will just shut off. Then it is hard to start back. Yesterday I noticed that all of the gauges went out right before it happened and it didn't start back up until the fuel went back up.

When it does run, it runs great!! But lately, I can't even drive a few miles without it dying. Sometimes I can catch it, and if I give it just a little gas while I am stopped at a light, it won't die.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Please, any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thankyou,
Christy

Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
cesspool
Professional
Default RE: Why does my 99 Durango keep dying?? help

Does the odometer read no bus? Or check engine light come on? Kinda sounds like a fuel pump though to me.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
SpeedDemon24

sounds like a problem i just had. with mine, it would buck after driving a while as well. I changed the fuel filter, and now purs like a kitten.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
christygr97

Yes! It does display no bus and the engine light comes on! What does that mean?

Old 08-30-2007, 04:38 PM
SpeedDemon24

the BUS is the digital data communication system that connects the powertrain controller, transmission controller, body computer, anti-lock brake, indstrument cluster, etc systems together to share information needed to run the vehicle. Because there is no number associated with the "no bus", I can't be sure exactly what is wrong with that system. Usually there should be a 4-digit number as the fault code, not just a "no bus". I would suggest that you go to either an Autozone Parts store to get a readout using a code reader, or to a shop to have the readout of the bus system. Autozone will often do the readout for free. If you get a 4 digit number of another message let me know what it is. I suspect that because the engine shuts down that the engine (powertrain) controller has failed as regards its ability to send/receive data necessary to run the vehicle. But a regular readout with a code reader is probably your best action.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 PM
DurangoRT/RN
Rookie

christygr97- Having read MANY posts on here. Start simple. Check the battery. Mine was dying repeatedly and after two days of stressing out, just disconnecting, cleaning any corrosion and reconnecting my battery solved the problem...

Good Luck!! and let us know what it was!! So many posters have a problem and we never hear back as to what it was in the end. It can help other people in the future

Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 PM
cesspool
Professional

Check this. I hope you can fix it simply, but I may cost $400 plus, and that's if you have someone to fix it.
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic91464.htm

Old 08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
christygr97

Thank you all for your responses. I went out to take the durango to the shop and I couldn't get it to start at all. I popped the hood and messed with some connectors. Wiggled the white one and it started right up, so I took it straight to the shop!I will let you all know what they say

Old 08-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Try replacing the battery terminals. It could just be a bad cell in the battery itself. I recently hada battery go bad after only 8 months. It was still well within the warranty, so they replaced it for free. I put on some new brass terminals and haven't had a problem since. A battery with a dead cell will show odd symptoms and can be hard to trace down, as it will work sometimes and not work sometimes.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:39 PM
christygr97

I got the Durango to the shop and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with it. I don't see how they even got it started and kept it running without having to move that connector a little, like I was having to do.
So they say that it must be an electrical problem and I am going to have to take it to aDodge dealer. I am fine with that as long as they DO find a problem!!
So my problem continues..... hopefully I can get the big D running right soon I love my Durango!!

Christy

Quick Reply: Why does my 99 Durango keep dying?? help