Newb.. 2nd guessing tune up choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:45 AM
vox87
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newb.. 2nd guessing tune up choices

ORIGINAL: Mean Green
Ken has some good points and just so you know, a lot of those parts guys don't know their*** from a hole in the ground so don't be too concerned on what they think. I bet they think that plat's were the way to go with the plugs....

That's what I was trying to tell myself. I've combed through these forums enough to know, I should have just ignored his comments. And, he did suggest the plats.....Bosch's. Which, at that point, I should have just laughed and knew Ihad things right.

ORIGINAL: Kensai
Also, on the shocks, the monroe sensatracs is more than enough for your everyday driving.

After reading some more threads on shocks, I might go with them after all. Like you said, they're probably more than enough for my everyday driving and half the cost. I just wanted something to offer the smoothest ride possiblefor the kids/passengers in the back. Think anything I go with, will be better than the "original ones" I have on there now.

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango
Stick with the 3923s you have AND the good plug wires. I have $125 a set Magnecor wires on my 3923s. You are fine. Good job in getting the right stuff.

Like I said, I've poured through these forums and the top plug recommended for the 5.9 was the 3923s. I've seen Kensai recommend the Champion Iridium truck plugs, in other threadsand hydrashocker recommends the regular Champion truck plugs. I'm assuming I can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Really appreciate the follow ups and help.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: vox87

I'll pick up a K&N drop in and order a Hypertech. Ram air intake, hmmm.. seems difficult. Or am I looking at the wrong stuff? http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx/partid/482204....plus new hood?

Today, I picked upa Mobil 1 oil filter and some Mobil synthetic oil (10w-30).I guess I can hold on to the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires then.

Also, I picked up some Sea Foam. Is this stuff, a use when something is wrong or, can it be used as good preventive maintenance? The Durango has 73k miles on it, figured I could run some of this through (tank, oil crank case, throttle body) per the instructions on Seafoam's website... http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
Ram air intake. Make it yourself, cost about $10-$15 in parts from home depot. - https://dodgeforum.com/m_966240/tm.htm

Sea Foam? hmm. It would be great for a newer engine but may not be recommended for a high mileage engine unless you know it has been taken care of If you run seafoam on a high mileage engine that has not been really been taken care of, after cleaning, it can create more problems such as leaks, etc..

Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
vox87
Amateur

Nice... a simple poor man's version.

As for the Sea Foam, that's why I asked. I wasn't sure, if it was a good idea to use it on something that's not broke. I'll just run some Techron through the fuel injectors.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 AM
vox87
Amateur

Follow up... Some stuff came up last weekend, which prevented gettingstuff done. Plus, NAPA didn't have their distributor cap/rotorin stock (#MO29/#MO26).

I thought about ordering the following cap and rotorfromSummit (below)since, I've seen it referenced on here a couple of times.However,Accel, Summit, and Advance has it referencedfor the98'-99'Durangos (5.2/5.9) only.

To me, I'd figure, if its made for a Magnum V8, why shouldn't it work with my 02' Durango. Should be the same 5.9 make up as a 99', right?

Anyways,I did email Accel on it and, a tech referencedthe sameitems below.The techdidn't really elaborate much beyond the two part #s. I might check back with Napa before ordering.Has anyone else used the Accel cap/rotorwith a 00'+ Durango?

Accel Distributor Cap #120329
Accel Rotor #130328

Quick Reply: Newb.. 2nd guessing tune up choices