1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

problems... will they ever end???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:27 PM
99BlueSLT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems... will they ever end???

I have a 99 with a 5.2. My tranny has a problem, but not sure if it is something simple... I was running up the entrance ramp to the interstate today... and I was in passing gear, and then boom!!! REDLINE! It has been doing this for about a week, but normally not all the time. It feels like the passing gear is out of it going straight into neutral. It is full of fluid. I had the tranny flushed when I bought it 20K miles ago, I also changed the tranny filter around that time, the only reason I changed the filter, was that the pan gasket was leaking severely. I hate to put a trans in this thing. I would like to get rid of it, but it won't be worth squat. It has 139K on it.

Problem #2[:@]

The thing is using oil again. I changed the intake gaskets when I bought the truck. I installed the plenum block plate from Hughes Performance, along with their intake gasket kit. I couldn't think the plate under the intake would be leaking. It's been almost a year since I did the intake, I don't think there was a gasket under the plate. It is not leaking or using any antifreeze, just using 2 quarts of oil every 2 to 3 weeks. I am not changing the engine or tranny. It does have some rattle when accelerating... possibly EGR valve? And no... it doesn't have the 180 stat in it. I put in the Hypertech one and it wouldn't open, so I put a stock one back in it.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: problems... will they ever end???

99blue:

The symptoms you describe of heavy oil consumption and pinging are right on for the the intake leak.
Remove the air hat, and look down into the intake/via the throttle body with a flashlight. If you see oil, most likely intake is leaking again.

Re the tranny; Could just need the bands adjusted, which should be done when tranny is serviced, NOTEo not flush these trannies!! A simple drain andrefill with e filter change is the best for them. Many D owners have learned the hard way after their tranny failed shortlyafter doing a flush.

Good Luck..............Don

Quick Reply: problems... will they ever end???