1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

intermittant extended cranking???? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
durangho02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittant extended cranking???? please help

2002 Durango 4.7l 4wd
Just two weeks ago or so I've had this extended crank problem on first try, and second time trying it starts right up. But recently it's getting a little worse. Just about every morning I can garauntee that the Durango will take a long crank at first, and then the second time trying to crank it will start, and occasionally it will take a third. And once it starts, it's very rough, then slowly idles smooth and all gauges look good. Tried doing the key on for a few seconds to let the fuel pump pressurize trick like I read on here...that didn't work. I also noticed that after only sitting for an hour or so itmay act up again, just like crankingfrom sitting over night. And once started, cutting off and restarting is no problem.Get it started up and running smooth and warmed up...cut it off. Try again and it starts no problems.
Idid the P code check, key on three times deal....it just says P done. I'm assuming no code...and I haven't had a check engine lightthis whole time I've been having this problem.
I sprayed thevacuum lines, throttle body, intake runners,just about everything with some brake cleaner and Ididn't get any idle changesand/or didn'tcause the motor to choke out and stall. So I'm sure there's no air leak. Intake filter is new, recently serviced. I'm at odds ends.
So now I'm at a point whereIknow it's time to buy some parts, but I don't want to go out and buy anything. I've searched hereand foundsimiliar problems like mine...but several different variations of how theywere fixed. So, I don't knowwhere to start. Idle air controller, Throttle Position, Crank sensor, Coil and/or plug problems....so I have many choices....I'm hoping one of you helpful guys out there could give me a point in the right direction. I'd hate for my wife to get stranded somewherebecuase it really won't start up. Thanks a lot for the help. Oh, by theway. 2002 4.7l 4wd.Thanks.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM
durangeddurango
Professional
Default RE: intermittant extended cranking???? please help

perform a fuel pressure test first,you may be looking at a fuel pump issue....

Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
burban2002
Veteran

I would check the fuel pressure regulator. If you pull off the vacuum line and smell gas you know it went bad. That can cause harder starts

Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also may just need a tune up, since you have the 4.7 that is a very cheap route to go. Just get yourself some plugs and slap them in.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
durangho02

Well, so far you guys are right. I did check the fuel pressure this morning right off the valve on the fuel rail. There was nothing. No pressure. So where to go from here? One of you mentioned fuel pressure regulator? Where is that. It was kind of dark this morning when I checked, but all I could see was the fuel rail, and the line that goes into the fuel rail on the driver's side. Couldn't really see where that went though. Anyone have any more clues to help out. Pressure regulator, fuel pump. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
burban2002
Veteran

When you checked the fp was the pump running or did you test it before you turned the key?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 AM
durangho02

I checked fuel pressure before I did anything. No key on, no start.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Turn the key without starting it and see what the fuel pressure is up to

Old 10-17-2007, 07:14 AM
durangho02

Well, I took it to the dealer and they told me it was a bad fuel pump. So I had them do the work. Took the car home. Went to start it this morning, the very next morning....it's still doing the same thing. So now I don't even know if I want to take it back to the guys who worked on it. Any other ideas

Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 PM
drango_101

I have almost the same exact problem you describe with a 2002 Durango, 4.7L, 4WD, 85K miles.
I've replaced the fuel pump, filter, check valve, regulator, oxygen sensor, Crank Position sensor, MAP sensor, Coilpack 1 and 3, and spark plugs.

The engine has been throwing Cyl1 Misfire for 2 years off and on. Then it began throwing Cyl3 Misfire. And now it also throws Random Misfire too. The latest mechanic promised that he had fixed it, and 1 day later same problem. The dealer had no luck. 2 other mechanics, no luck. Newest place is getting it back to keep trying, or I'm not paying them.

Any ideas on what else this could be?

Quick Reply: intermittant extended cranking???? please help