1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical problems developing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
raggmopp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problems developing

Hey all:

Got a 01 4x4 SLT with 4.7L. 94K miles. All power.

Recently the 4x4 rotary switch has been wiggin out. It will flash on/off, all lights will flash on, all lights will flash off.
Been driving and no problems, put in and out of 4H and 4L and no problems. Occasionally the "Service 4WD" amber light will come on in the dash. It never stays on over a period of time, just comes on for a couple of minutes then goes off.

Now have additional problems with the headlights going out. When coming to a stop for parking the headlights will suddenly go out. A quick on/off of the rotary light switch gets the lights back on.

Next in list is the radio. The volume will start going down on its own. I have switches in the steering wheel.

I am not wanting to 'discover' what else comes next.

I've been searching but do not find anything really matching what I am experiencing.

I see lots of messages about various modules and such but I am unsure if this would be the culprit because I do not find anything matching my symptoms.

Any ideas? Any body else experience similar problems?

Many thanks!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 PM
raggmopp
Default RE: Electrical problems developing

PING - haven't had any hits.

Latest episode is the headlights turning off while driving. Previously it was while slowing to park.
The 4wd switch still flashes but the Durango drives fine. Just the electrical is starting to whack out.

Please, I hope somebody has some insight.

Thanks

raggmopp
[8D]

Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 AM
raggmopp

Did the 3 key click to get a partial code (I hope).
The odometer will say 'P doNE'

Does this have a meaning?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
tbasse01
Rookie

p done means there are no codes or fault codes which is good

1. change your battery
2. when was the last time you changed your tranfer case fluid

do that and see what happens

Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rm:

+1 on the battery test. Especially if yours is the OEM Unit.
These D's are really sensitive to batteries on the way out.

Don

Old 11-19-2007, 07:23 PM
w70442

While your symptoms are not exactly what I recently experienced on my 02 Durango, they are similar. My headlights would flicker off andon and when the head lamps went offsome of the interior lights would come on brighter than normal. It got to the point that the headlights and interior lights would not come one at all. It turned out to be the central timer module. This is a circuit board that controls several things likeyour headlights, power locks, wipers and more. It is located behind the driver's side kick panel on my 02 Durango.
In the research I did concerning it, I found that a lot of people were having similar but not exactly the same problems as I was. I guess with the board controlling so many things, it can go bad in many different ways. The board is about $230 plus the $80 diagnostic fee plus labor.I think it wasalmost $500 at the stealership.
If you're considering getting a board from the junk yard you should be aware that if the board is replaced, they will have to reprogram all your key fobs so you may have to take it to the dealership for that. Also, when I got it back, my engine wouldn't stay running. For some reason, inreplacing the board, the main computer got disconnected which causes it to loose it's memory sothe car forgets how to idle. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true. You'll have to keep your foot on the gas pedal for several minutes to keep it running until it learns how to idle again.

Quick Reply: Electrical problems developing