1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need Oil Change Tips/Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
jamez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Oil Change Tips/Info

Well I just finished my first ever oil change. And frankly I'm sorry that I waited this long. Anywho, it took me just under 30 mins give or take a few.

ORIGINAL: dodgebrothers
Oil filter can be fun to manuever out on 5.2 & 5.9 versions, but not a big deal, just take your time. I prefer 10w 30 Valvoline and alway use Fram oil filters...but really your brand preference.

I went with a Castrol Synthetic Blend 10w-30, and with a Wix filter.

ORIGINAL: LayItLowS10
i just get mine from the wheelwell, but then again im lifted. from what i remember top of the motor isnt too hard to get at it

The filter is a bit tricky to get to, but I also removed it from the wheelwell below. Mine's not lifted, but it really wasn't too tough to get to. What I didn't expect was (though it makes sense), was oil shooting from the filter after I removed it.

ORIGINAL: yeehau
If you are going to do it yourself... Look at the synthetic oils. I run Royal Purple. You should look into it.

The guy at the O'reilly mentioned Royal Purple, but he said it is more expensive and directed toward performance driving.

All in all, it went pretty well, and I'm pretty impressed with myself. Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

ORIGINAL: jamez

Well I just finished my first ever oil change. And frankly I'm sorry that I waited this long. Anywho, it took me just under 30 mins give or take a few.

ORIGINAL: dodgebrothers
Oil filter can be fun to manuever out on 5.2 & 5.9 versions, but not a big deal, just take your time. I prefer 10w 30 Valvoline and alway use Fram oil filters...but really your brand preference.

I went with a Castrol Synthetic Blend 10w-30, and with a Wix filter.

ORIGINAL: LayItLowS10
i just get mine from the wheelwell, but then again im lifted. from what i remember top of the motor isnt too hard to get at it

The filter is a bit tricky to get to, but I also removed it from the wheelwell below. Mine's not lifted, but it really wasn't too tough to get to. What I didn't expect was (though it makes sense), was oil shooting from the filter after I removed it.

ORIGINAL: yeehau
If you are going to do it yourself... Look at the synthetic oils. I run Royal Purple. You should look into it.

The guy at the O'reilly mentioned Royal Purple, but he said it is more expensive and directed toward performance driving.

All in all, it went pretty well, and I'm pretty impressed with myself. Thanks for all the help!

glad the oil change went well for you, looks like you made some good choices (castrol and wix areboth excellent). I just wish more people would take the short amount of time to do it themselves and get it done right. did you check your differential and transfer case fluids while you were under there? how about greasing the fittings? just a couple more things to check up on that normally would be checked during a service at a shop. i work at a tire/lube shop, that's why i threw that out there.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
jamez

ORIGINAL: OlsenG_360
glad the oil change went well for you, looks like you made some good choices (castrol and wix areboth excellent). I just wish more people would take the short amount of time to do it themselves and get it done right. did you check your differential and transfer case fluids while you were under there? how about greasing the fittings? just a couple more things to check up on that normally would be checked during a service at a shop. i work at a tire/lube shop, that's why i threw that out there.

No, but if you can give somedetailed instructions on how to do this, I will.

Quick Reply: Need Oil Change Tips/Info