1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM
robbiefuchs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango Electrical Problems

I have an 01 with 122,000 miles and have electrical problems. This problem has been going on for over a year but came to a head since I cannot pass my inspection. Here are the symptoms:radio will intermitedly turn off / on (radio turned on) and when that happens my blinkers do not work. This does not happen 100% of the time. However, I cannot engage 4wd as it does not appear that there is power to the switch.

What do you think?

Robbie Fuchs

Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 AM
robbiefuchs
Default RE: 2001 Durango Electrical Problems

Just wanted to keep the message at the top.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Dango85
Rookie

I've noticed the same issue in my truck. I had the dealer look into it and they said that it was a sticky key cylinder in the ignition switch. All they did (or told me they did) was spray some lubricant in there to smooth things out. I still have issues with the from time to time. Sometimes I can get the radio/blinkers back if I wiggle the key while in the ignition/make sure it is all the way into the switch. This is really problematic when the truck is running, as on many occasions I've had to turn my truck off/back on at a red light or on the side of the road to get things cooperating again. It's just really a hassle, since we really need blinkers to NOT get pulled over.

I had initially suspected the clock spring as the culprit of this issue, as I noticed it would happen when the steering wheel would turn slightly. I did have the clock spring replaced not too long ago, but that was related to a whole different list of issues that have since been resolved. The radio/blinkers thing still persists from time to time.

I'm guessing that maybe the ignition switch/key seating in the switch is just not that great. Maybe replacing the unit will help? Try a different key? Hope something works...

Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
robbiefuchs

Did your 4WD work while you were having this problem as well?

Robbie

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Electrical Problems