1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fly Wheel welded to the Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 AM
GaPchNCrm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Wheel welded to the Torque Converter?

In my endless quest to get a transmission that actualy WORKS, somehow my flywheel got cracked and I need a new one. I called Dodge a few months back and was quoted a price for a fly wheel for 35-40 bucks. Well the truck has sat because of a bad tranny for a while now, butthe time has come to get rid of this thing, so I need to fix it first. Called Dodge again to order the fly wheel, and he says that the fly wheel is welded to the torque converter and can't be bought seperately, or that I could buy an aftermarket flywheel ( yeah right, can't find one!) but it would have to be welded to the torque converter to work right. Is this true? This guy also was trying to tell me that Durangos came with a manual transmission, so I'm not likely to go on his word. Thanks for any input!

Old 11-25-2004, 11:09 AM
rcs426
Rookie
Default RE: Fly Wheel welded to the Torque Converter?

what you are looking for is the flex plate not the ring gear that is attached to the torque converter

Old 11-26-2004, 05:28 AM
uawnick
Professional

Torque converter not welded to the flywheel. Trust me I know first hand. Was my job for 3 months joining the tranny to the engine on the pedastil line. Has only 4 bolts, can access from the drivers side of the motor.

Old 11-27-2004, 01:14 AM
GaPchNCrm

ok thanks! I knew that didn't sound right! I wa stold by a shop that teh fly wheel iteself was cracked, not the flex plate. When the truck is running, and you put it in gear, it makes a gosh awful clicking noise. Is it possibly not the flywheel? And where can I get a flywheel besides Dodge, I haven't found anywhere else? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fly Wheel welded to the Torque Converter?