1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C pump clicking on and off while heat is on.. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
durangoguy16
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C pump clicking on and off while heat is on.. Help!!

I have a 98 durango and i just finished replacing all the freeze out plugs and though all is good with plugs all of a sudden my a/c pump keeps clicking on for 2 seconds then off.. on.. off... on.. even if its on heat of cool fan or no fan... i took the fuse out to at least stop it from coming on and off.. does anyone have any idea what would cause it?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
duff73
Rookie
Default RE: A/C pump clicking on and off while heat is on.. Help!!

Is the heat setting on defrost, the one that goes up the windshield? If it is, all that it is doing is cycling the A/C compressor as to keep it lubricated while not in use during the winter. If it is running like the A/C is on, maybe you loss of charge switch is faulty. Just a thought-

Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only settings on your A/C control **** that will not use the A/Cmode is the Vent and Heater (floor) settings. All other settings will use the A/C compressor regardless of temperature control.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Sam_M

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd chime in. The A/C will cycle on and off rapidly if the pressure is too high in the system, like say from a clogged expansion valve, or other obstruction. Also, the A/C is set to come on with the defrost because the condenser dehumidifies the air in the car, preventing condensation on the cool glass. Usually it only comes on automatically with the defrost or defrost + floor setting, unless you manually turn it on. Most other modes it should be off.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

in mine it is off except for defrost and defrost/floor settings, there is a setting on defrost that doesnt run the A/C, and any other position its controled by the toggle switch in the dash

Quick Reply: A/C pump clicking on and off while heat is on.. Help!!