1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear A/C Heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear A/C Heat problem

Sounds good. I'll give a looksee aswell and see what i cant find...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Dango85
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update.

Went to the dealer parts counter today to look for the parts. They still make them. As a matter of fact, they told me that the new '08 Durangos are using the same exact system for the rear heat and a/c. So, the good news is that the replacement parts are available, but only when you buy half of the entire unit, which costs $137. Forget that. I need two parts, not most of the entire unit.

The frustrating thing is that the two parts that I need actually have individual part numbers, but are not available for purchase without the rest of the unit.

So, not it's time to call the junk yards...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

After talking to the parts counter the first thing you do is tella salesman you want to take an 08 durango with rear heat out for a test drive. lmao j/k Or am i? I know how that feels to go through that, my luck is i ask for a part, they say its in stock, and when i show upthey tell me i haveto buy the whole unit. Got into an argument with the manager because i had to drive 45 mins for nothing. Although i never did get a response when i mentioned he must have given me the waranteeversion over the phone and now thesales version in person. Low rate used dealerships can get to ya....

Old 01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Dango85
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, here's some resolution to this tale (for me at least).

Since my encounter with the parts department at the dealer, I made a few phone calls to local junk yards. I was able to locate a yard nearby that had two D's to part out. I pulled in around noon and they put the parts (servo, coupling, and door) in my hands in about 15 minutes, and only 25 bucks later.

Came home, installed it, and tada! Heat in the rear system again!

I did make a few observations about these parts however. The servo that controls the door rotates well beyond the half inch or so it takes to switch temperature settings. They stop by the sheer brute force of the little plastic stops that tab out from the coupling and hit other tabs on the exterior of the ventilation housing. Needless to say, the servo still wants to turn and pushes pretty hard on those tabs. Naturally, they will eventually fail.

Also, the servo that was pulled from the yard had a very similar product number, but ended in an "B" instead of and "A" and was made by a different manufacturer. I decided to install the 'new' servo with the 'new' door, as these parts were not broken and came from a working ventilation system (at least before the D ended up in the yard). Perhaps the servos that were installed at the factory in some trucks were slightly different after all and are more likely to damage the components and create this common failure. Who knows, that is only pure speculation.

While this whole project wasn't anything absolutely crucial to the functionality of the truck, it was certainly gratifying to rectify the issue and spend some quality time taking the D apart and putting it back together. At least now I won't have to listen to family and friends complaining of freezing in the back during the winter while I sweat in the front trying to get some heat back to them.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

thats great Dango, not only was it a plus for you, but other D owners aswell. I highly doubt you will be the only one that will experience that problem (unless it was me) so now somone has an insight to a possible fix.

Quick Reply: Rear A/C Heat problem