1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 D D 5.9 SLT hesitation rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM
DesignatedDriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D D 5.9 SLT hesitation rough idle

My D D is killin me. I replaced the TPS, 02, and Speed sensors. Ive checked fuel pressure and maintained the battery connections Ive checked for vacume leaks and pulled the codes 132 135 138> 02 replaced. still after warming up after stops and durring exceleration I have shuttering acceleration and rough idle after it sits while running. ive seen alot of this on this sight but it seems I havnt got the exacct feed back I need.[:@][>:][&:] what is your final awnser?[]
P S I will be sure to post the sure fix at the end to aid others even though I will be so happy i would wantto drive strait up a mountain

Old 01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 99 D D 5.9 SLT hesitation rough idle

1. Pull the Throttle Body off and clean that thing throughally including all ports, holes and electrical parts you can. Be very careful on the electronic parts. Make sure you have a good seal.

2. While the TB is off look down the intake manifold at the plate on the bottom and see if you see oil. If you do, you need to replace the Pentium Gasket. You remove the intake and flip it over and remove the bolts and replace the gasket.

3. Pull the spark plugs and replace them with the OEM regular Champion plugs. Plugs have caused soooo many problems. Don't put anything else inside. Lets find the problem first.

4. Wires, cap, and rotor might need replaced. I recommend preformance. Search for me as the author and the part numbers are posted in the 1st generation Durango section. Other types of wires or plugs other than OEM or those you are taking a chance with TRUST ME!

5. Pick up sensor in the distributor or a cam sensor could be to blame.

This problem looks like a fuel, air, or spark problem to me.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 AM
DesignatedDriver

well the o 2 sensor heating circuit is bad and I replaced the o 2 sensor thinking it had a bad element but indeed it is the actual circuitthe ground is good the positive line from the asd (auto matic shutdown) relay is bad. I dont know if it is the wire or the relay but the fuse is fine ill let u know.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 AM
DesignatedDriver

Actually the relay controls alot of other things, that are working, so it has to be the wire to the o2 sensor.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well with the heater circuit (+) coming from the ASD, your not pulling 10+ volts? The line is only hot for a moment, did you pullyour readingwith someone helping you by turning on the system?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
DesignatedDriver

I checked it with the motor running got 4 v .the system, in run or start, should be at least 10 v. I ran a new wiring harness with 12 v strait to the o 2 sensors + lead for the heater circuit from the asd. and then my tranny wouldnt down shift properly. I think its because the common ground for these components must not be good enough for both components leaving one with no ground no current no function. before the least resistance was through the selinoid working the tranny kick down and now withthenew 16 gage line its to the two o 2 sensors. leaving my diagnosis at the ground in theroy. I should run a new ground for the o 2 sensors and the problem should be resolved. I will keep you updated I appriciate all the written info ive beenable to gather to help my discoveries but the codes from pcm helped emencly I would recommend any do it your selfers get the codes for there problem before attempting any diagnosis then searh for related problems online.... If your codes are 132 135 138 o2 sensor heating circuit there might be a good chance your grond is not good enough for multiple components. the problem is the grounds location is on top of the tranny and very difficult to reach with out major work the solution run a new ground strait to your o2 sensors. good luck and keep us posted remember you can use information to help you, and your info. can help others keep it flowing D D

Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
DesignatedDriver

yep I feel like the king. It was the o2 sensor heating circuit. It was the ground I spliced in the grounds on the o2 sensor side wireing ran them strait to the frame, and my hesitation, rough idle and studdering gear shifting are all fixed. nice

Quick Reply: 99 D D 5.9 SLT hesitation rough idle