1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 AM
billdixon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

Hi everyone I keep getting the 0440 code on my durango.I clear the code by taking the - cable off the batt.The gas cap is tight i turn it about ten clicks after fueling up.any help. thanks bill

Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: check engine light

Good Morning, I just went through this last summer, now be patient part of this is experimentation. In no particular order, first part is some inspection of parts, again this is what eventually cleared mine, but it took a few tries. Do not panic, the code is basically a vacuum leak message, now where it is, might take some time. With that said, here is where to start inspecing. These codes could affect fuel mileage in the short term, but I made mine from Clearwater, FL to Indy approx 1050 miles no skipping, just a drop in economy.

1. Charcoal canister, inside frame rail, forward of fuel tank, driver side, approx between drivers seat and Left Rear passengers seat. check all vacuum lines carefully, mine was pretty obvious, it was dry rotted at the fitting, and a nice split. Now if it is that, here is the problem, the hose on that is a flared fitting, so the opening on one side is larger than the other, one 7/16th the other 3/8th. In my case I got two separate pieces of hose and got a coupler and hose clamped them together along with clamping them to the charcoal canister. Only one line was cracked, but while you are there might as well replace them both prevent yourself a light later. The length is small, so I was able to get some scrap pieces from AutoZone to make it work, and all I had to pay for was the couplers and hose clamps.

2. Vacuum line, it is the line that runs from the PCV valve behind and to the intake manifold, it is a combination of plastic tubing and hoses, so inspect carefully. I am not sure what to call it, but it is pretty cheap even for a dealer, but I believe it was somewhere around $10-15. If it hasent been done in a year, might as well replace the PCV valve while you are at it. FYI, it may not be a in stock item, so be prepared to hold a few days unless you live near a warehouse or a high volume dealership, multiple dealers in the area, or a combination of the above. Mine came from Milwaukee and took about two business days. Also make a note of the routing, on the manifold side, it is a blind corner for the connection, and the reason it is blind is the firewall and the aft part of the engine, it is alsoa 90 degree elbow, be patient and get small hands.

3. Fuel cap, I replaced mine, I hate to recommend dealerships, but in this case I will, mine was about $10 and a fairly common in stock item.

If you still get the M.I.L. after that, you might need a smoke test, basically they put a smoke die, and run it through the system wherever it leaks is the source. A long way to go, but if it is a small pin hole leak, and not obvious that might be your only hope. I believetests areapprox $40-50 for the Indianapolis area, plus whatever the leak finds and labor.

I hope this is a good start, obviously check all parts of the system, but these seem to be pretty common areas and dryrot of the hose should not be overlooked. If in doubt I would replace it, especially with begin an 02, if they have not been replaced before. A.Z. helped a lot with reading and clearing the codes, just time consuming and coule be frustrating but welcometo the world of computer vehicles.

Good luck!!! get a good trouble light and run over the hoses carefully.

Steve.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 PM
billdixon
Rookie

Thanks Steve I'll check those things next week sometime after the snow storm.I'll be out plowing for a while.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

You must be from the northeast? go pats!!!! Good luck

Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Another part of this, and I have to give mostly credit for the assist to Indy Durango on thisone.

DO NOT TOP OFF TANK, the overflow filler neck could cause the excess to backflow back into the overflow tubes and eat away at the charcoal canister inner workings, I believe that was approx $150 in last year prices plus labor.

Again good luck, how is that snow removal coming??

Steve

Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 AM
billdixon
Rookie

The snow removal was good no problems.thanks all your imput.I am from the north east I live inPlymouth Mass.GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NY here. Lovin the snow (Wing plow driver), how bad did you guys get it?. As for the Pats.. No commento.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Wing plow Driver in the NE today, you are probably setting up the kids college fund on this storm. Go Pats..

Indy got somewhere between a trace and a dusting. Enough to cover the windshields overnight, but dry powdery, not sticky;but yetsomehowof theapprox fourvehicles on the road at 4:00 am two of them in opposite directions managed to make contact and overturned a sand truck causing a intersection to close for about six hours. Got to love it.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
deerang
All Star

spun around after a light dusting?? C'mon, up here in the North, we're not even phased by a foot of snow... I made a 100km trip hours after getting record snow fall... made pretty decent time too...

Now if I wasn't currently in class, I'd be out testing the roomates e-brake right now... got a couple inches last night..

Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
deerang
All Star

oh and GO PATS!

Quick Reply: check engine light