1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

NC inspect failed need obd2 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 AM
durangoguy16
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC inspect failed need obd2 help

So I brought my 98 5.9 D to get it inspected. They had a laundry list of things that needed replaced and a few electrical things. Well i fixed 100% of all the mechanical problems(ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, ect..... but the one thing i couldnt fix was my Durango's OBD2 interface is NOT communicating with the computer that the shop hooks up to it for the inspection. They want $85 just to diagnose this problem . Then another arm and leg to fix it most likly.. My Durango runs perfect and has no CEL. I checked ALL the fuses.. What could it be? ANY IDEAS?? Please help!!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:19 AM
kjun
Professional
Default RE: NC inspect failed need obd2 help

I have no idea what the problem could be, but maybe the computeror the wires to the interface plug in.

I think I would try a different shop just to make sure they aren't trying to just gouge you for dollars. Go to an auto zone or similar where they read the codes for free just to see if they canread it. I hate to doubt a shop but I get pretty skeptical due to all the stories you read and hear about repair shops.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you disconnect the battery? When disconnected it takes the obdII time to check the engine and can cause an issue with it not being ready I'll look into other issues when i get time..

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM
durangoguy16
Rookie

I havent recently disconnected the batt but i left the lights on once or twice and killed the battery and had to recharge it..
I want to take it to another shop all together due to the $1600 list of work it needed to pass inspection. I went home and bought all the parts and walked my dad through turning the wrenches to do it myslef i paid about 400 total for parts.. But im told that it may be in the computer system that I tried to get it inspected there and i wont be allowed to get it done at a different place. Any one know some solid knowledge on this?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: durangoguy16

I havent recently disconnected the batt but i left the lights on once or twice and killed the battery and had to recharge it..

But im told that it may be in the computer system that I tried to get it inspected there and i wont be allowed to get it done at a different place. Any one know some solid knowledge on this?
As for the other shop inspection, there is no such thing. OBDII inspections are not limited.

As for the OBDII Failure this is the documentation i noted from (Gov. Fact sheet), so if the battery failure was recent i think that would be a fault. Go to autozone and get a OBDII scan for free and see what happens.

What happens if my vehicle shows an unset readiness monitor when an emissions test is performed?

An OBDII system constantly monitors individual emissions-control devices. Readiness monitors indicate if these components have been fully evaluated or whether system components have experienced any problems that prevent the vehicle from operating as designed.
If the vehicle is in the process of resetting itself, the readiness monitor is said to be
"Not Ready." Not ready monitors may be caused by a recently disconnected vehicle battery, a low or dead battery, or as a result of work performed on the vehicle. Readiness monitors remain not ready until the vehicle’s computer has had adequate time while the vehicle is being driven to review the component or system.
The presence of "Not Ready" readiness monitors means that the vehicle cannot be
OBDII tested, as the information needed to make a pass/fail determination is not yet available. Vehicles will fail the OBDII test if too many monitors are unset at the time of testing. For 1996-2000 vehicles, three or more unset monitors will result in a test failure. For 2001 and newer vehicles, two or more unset monitors will result in a test failure. Additionally, if a vehicle fails the OBDII test with a catalytic converter Diagnostic Trouble Code, the vehicle will fail the retest if the catalyst monitor is not set to "Ready".
To set the monitors to "Ready" the vehicle must complete its appropriate drive cycle.
Drive cycles are unique and specific to each make and model. Check your owner’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer or a qualified service provider for more information about drive cycles.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 AM
durangoguy16
Rookie

now that i think of it they left my hood and door open while they did the inspection and due to having s bsttery thats kinda to small for the D it killed the battery because they had to jump it just to start it and thats when they came in and added the $85 Diag fee to the estimate and said it was because the obd2 interface wasnt communicating with the computer
so that makes a lot of sense then...
so now that i replaced and or repaired all of the mechanical items it needed work and i put the correct size battery in there i should be all set..
I already had to pay for the inspection at this place i might as well get the sticker from them as well even if they did try to gouge me with $1600 of repairs..

ORIGINAL: Duranged408

ORIGINAL: durangoguy16

But im told that it may be in the computer system that I tried to get it inspected there and i wont be allowed to get it done at a different place. Any one know some solid knowledge on this?
As for the other shop inspection, there is no such thing. OBDII inspections are not limited.

As for the OBDII Failure this is the documentation i noted from (Gov. Fact sheet), so if the battery failure was recent i think that would be a fault. Go to autozone and get a OBDII scan for free and see what happens.

What happens if my vehicle shows an unset readiness monitor when an emissions test is performed?

An OBDII system constantly monitors individual emissions-control devices. Readiness monitors indicate if these components have been fully evaluated or whether system components have experienced any problems that prevent the vehicle from operating as designed.
If the vehicle is in the process of resetting itself, the readiness monitor is said to be
"Not Ready." Not ready monitors may be caused by a recently disconnected vehicle battery, a low or dead battery, or as a result of work performed on the vehicle. Readiness monitors remain not ready until the vehicle’s computer has had adequate time while the vehicle is being driven to review the component or system.
The presence of "Not Ready" readiness monitors means that the vehicle cannot be
OBDII tested, as the information needed to make a pass/fail determination is not yet available. Vehicles will fail the OBDII test if too many monitors are unset at the time of testing. For 1996-2000 vehicles, three or more unset monitors will result in a test failure. For 2001 and newer vehicles, two or more unset monitors will result in a test failure. Additionally, if a vehicle fails the OBDII test with a catalytic converter Diagnostic Trouble Code, the vehicle will fail the retest if the catalyst monitor is not set to "Ready".
To set the monitors to "Ready" the vehicle must complete its appropriate drive cycle.
Drive cycles are unique and specific to each make and model. Check your owner’s manual or contact the vehicle manufacturer or a qualified service provider for more information about drive cycles.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

[sm=headbang.gif]Wow, im stupid. I apologize for the post.. Just re-read your intial input, i thought the OBDII Port was not finding ECM. ... Just as Kjun has said, i recomend getting the vechicle tested elsewhere to confirm. Autozone etc etc or any major local partstore that supplies free tests, and then go from there. Keep us informed.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
durangoguy16
Rookie

will do thanks! I still need a set of (4) 31x10.5x15 befor it will pass inspection as well. I will buy a set new if i cant find a good used set around.
ORIGINAL: Duranged408

[sm=headbang.gif]Wow, im stupid. I apologize for the post.. Just re-read your intial input, i thought the OBDII Port was not finding ECM. ... Just as Kjun has said, i recomend getting the vechicle tested elsewhere to confirm. Autozone etc etc or any major local partstore that supplies free tests, and then go from there. Keep us informed.

Quick Reply: NC inspect failed need obd2 help