1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 5.9 Durango rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:41 PM
cudadrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 5.9 Durango rough idle

I've got a 98 durango 5.9 with 125k miles and it started last week gettin g a rough idle when I stop. I checked the error code and got a IAC malfunction code and a TCC malfunction code. I reset the codes and replaced the IAC and TPS but still have the same problem. Is there a problem with the tranny by chance? It's shifting and running fine but when I come to a stop it seems fine for a minute then it starts to rough idle and almost die. Once I take off it runs fine until I come to a stop again. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 98 5.9 Durango rough idle

Cuda:

Sounds like your TCC (torque convertor clutch) is not unlocking at idle, which would cause what you are having. Kinda like driving a stick shift and not depressing the clutch when you come tostop.

Not being a tranny man, someone else will have to guide you from here.

Good luck Don

Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 AM
cudadrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 5.9 Durango rough idle

Thanks for the posting...greatly appreciated...for the first time today it's started working fine again but if anyone has any answers on to what to do about the converter please let me know...is there a sensor that needs to be replaced or the converter itself? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dwayne

Quick Reply: 98 5.9 Durango rough idle