1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clicking noise while cranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
mdbryan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise while cranking

My truck when it is cold and you first crank it up there is a clicking noise for about 5-10 mintues until it warms up.After it warms up it stops.Doesn't do it again until the motor is cold.Any ideas what this is?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Blaisenj1
Default RE: Clicking noise while cranking

It is probably the exhaust manifold. Mine did this too. But the dealer I took it to drilled the hole out too far when they fixed it. And we didn't figure that out until it was too late. Now it does it all the time well, until it warms up. We have replaced the gasket 3 times already since 2005.It does it when it is cold because it shrinks, as it warms up it swells and seals the gap. Hope this helps. You can get the gasket for about 15 dollars at Advance Auto Parts. If you can do it yourself or know someone who can it will save a lot of money.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
mdbryan

How much does that cost at a dealership and at a non dealership?Does it hurt to drive the vehicle with it like that?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If that is what it is about $150 depending on the motor.

I wonder if it isn't something simpler. How about octane of your gasoline?

When a cold motor is started it burns rich until it warms up. If the octane you are using is 85 I bet that is your problem. Try switching to the top grade for 1 tank and see if it goes away. If so then use the next upper grade of fuel.

Also it could be a rocker depending on your motor. If the lifter is dirty with buildup or sludge oil won't flow through it and lubricate the rocker. After a warming, the oil would fling onto the rocker and lubricate it making the sound go away.In this case then I would say do a clean out of the crank case.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise while cranking