1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Started the mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
NotSureDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started the mods

Okay for anyone interested. After some reasearch this is what will happen to my 00' D SLT+ 4x4 with a 100k. I will re-post as the mods take place and if anyone has coments on any of these products, please let me know. I will be watching the gas consumption inbetween mods and let you know if there are any changes.
1st is a 3" cat back exhaust with a magnaflow. (friday)
2nd is an intake, K&N FIPK in two weeks
3rd is a JET chip. (this is the only thing I could find to tweak my ECU on a 4.7????)
4th is a fastman TB (not sure when I'll do this)
Any coments would be greatly appreciated. Also if you've done all this, I'd really like to know what effect it had. I am currently getting 13mpg around town and taken it easy.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:35 PM
JoshJohnson
Default RE: Started the mods

I placed a 3" Dynomax exhaust on my 02 4.7 and noticed a world of differance both in milage and high end power I traded for a 01 4x4 with a 5.9 and am about to put dynomax headers a 3" cat and 3" cat back as well as a TB spacer cold air induction but personally if you wanna go cat back that's your choice but it may behoove you to do hearers back not sure haven't done it yet.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:34 PM
NotSureDurango

Hi JoshJohnson,
Thanks for your reply, Here is what I did on mine and some of the results. 3" Cat back with a Magnaflow, Jet Stage II chip, 180 degree thermostat, Roar intake system.
Before the upgrades, I suffered through 14.4 mpg with about 70% highway 30% town and a medium foot on the throttle. I have now put about 2000 miles on the D since the changes and now see about 16.2 average in the same driving conditions. So, whatever helped the milage, was worth the money. I did see improvments through all the changes and of coarse did not document them so it's only my opinion of what made the biggest difference. The exhaust was a great improvment, but I think it was more in my head (now I can hear it) than any significant gains. Thermostat and chip, (only thing available to mess with the 4.7 i.e. no hypertech programmer) did nothing for me other than cost me more at the pump (91 or better gas). Maybe it's just me, but the cold air intake was what impressed me the most. Roar hyp's the "velocity stack" design and I bought into it. Cost me about $200 for the set up which is about $80 less than the K&N fipk, but I am overall pleased. The one down side to the Roar filter is the installation, most of the piping just hangs in the engine compartment. They will send you a piece of crap bracket that the can is supposed to mount to, but I was so unimpressed with it, I'll make my own and quickly s#$@tcanned it.
I have not tried a TB and may consider it when my toy money recoups. I'd like to hear your experience when you get a chance.
I have never had sucsess with headers but do realize that they will make a large difference, so when yours are installed, I'd like to hear about it. Leaks, performance gains and ease of install would be great to know.
Good luck and keep me posted.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
MrKickalot

What muffler did you use? Did you run single or dual? 3" from the cat all the way to the tip? Did you have a muffler shop do it or is there a kit you used? I would like to find a kit but none of them seem too appealing... My muffler is rusting through and I was looking into options, the stock stuff just don't sound mean enough for the Durango.

Is it real loud? I don't want too much noise, my family has to ride with me too!!

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 PM
NotSureDurango

I used a 3" cat back with a magnaflow muffler. I did not do duals as I dont really care whats hanging out the back. I had the local shop do it and it ran me $217. As far as the noise goes, at idle it is louder than stock and has a nice growl. At 75mph, you can hear it but it's not bad, I also have the family thing and the wife never hesitates to complain. What I like the most is when you put your foot to the floor, it lets everyone know that your on it and it sounds great. There is a web site that you can listen to the magnaflow, flowmaster 40's and 50's, but I cant remember where it's at. I know I did find it off of this fourm though. Only complaint about the exhaust is cruising about 40mph, it tends to kind of drone, but I am very satisfied with the change, and got the wifes blessing. With the exhaust, air intake system, Jet chip, and a 180 degree thermostat, my un-official 0-60 times went from 11.6 seconds to 9.8. Really happy about the mpg change though, even went through a tank and got 18.5 but the wind was at my back most of the way.
Good luck, and you should really try to find that web site with the sound clips.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to see what my R/T 5.9 gets with those same mods. I hope to have a budget this year after we do our taxes to play with my R/T. Here is what I plan to do in these steps.

1. Mopar cold air intake.

2. Hypertech programmer (I have a 5.9). Love to use it's dual regular/premium octane program setting.

3. 180 degree stat (only after hypertech reprograms the chip for this temperature range)

4. Mopar M1 Intake manifold replacement.

5. Cat Back w/ dual outlet exhaust. (haven't picked a brand yet) Problaby get a single in, dual out muffler. I always feel a performance vehicle should have dual exhaust outlets.

I decide to do the exhaust as the last step. I feel the R/T version has a better flowing muffler than the regular durangos. Plus as you noticed, I prefer to stay with Mopar parts to maintain the OEM look. Mopar really have some nice performance accessories that I have seen. Download their catalog at www.mopar.com or you can check out Redrider bob's sticky that he posted all the mopar catalogs there.

Currently I am getting an avg of 12-14 mpg in city/highway driving. That's with a light foot. I hope to get 14-16 or better after these mods.

Quick Reply: Started the mods