1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 D - Brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 D - Brake issue

OK, now my 98 Durango is having a problem with the front driver side brakes. Basically, on our way home the other night it started grinding. Being only a few blocks from home, and suspecting worn pads, I just took it nice and slow and got it into my driveway. Got the wheel off this morning to take a look, though, and it seems that the top bolt that holds the caliper to the steering knuckle isn't holding. Threads in the steering knuckle are stripped. This had allowed the caliper to pivot outwards and rub against the inside of the wheel.

Do I have any decent repair options other than replacing the steering knuckle? I can get one from a junkyard cheap enough, but the ball joints are still good and I've not had much luck with separating ball joints from steering knuckles without damaging them, so if there's another option, I'd like to explore it. Would something like HeliCoil inserts be tough enough for this application?

While I'm at it, it's also due for new tires. General purpose driving, but still want excellent traction in snow. Won't be used off-road (other than possibly having to climb out of a ditch with the ice we get around here in the winter ). I was leaning toward the BFG All-Terrain. Any better options out there?

Also, I know this is a Dodge venue, but does anyone know of a good forum like this one for GMC trucks? Also have a 98 Jimmy that sometimes loses power at highway speeds, but still idles fine, and is OK again for awhile if you just pull over and shut it off for a few minutes.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: 98 D - Brake issue

1. You can just drill and re-thread to the next size up bolt. The main torque is on the holders of the knuckles not the bolt.

2. BFG KO's kick butt!

3. Check the cat for back pressure. There should only be no more than 2.5 Lbs. Anymore replace the cat. Muffler shops will do this for free. The other thing it could be and I did have that same trouble; Replace the trany filter and fluid. Lack of fluid through a dirty filter will do that to you GMC.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Thanks hydra,

Couldn't find the right bolt in a size up, so I ended up giving the helicoils a shot. So far so good.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Try it. Since the torque isn't on them hopefully they will work. I still like the total re-thread over helicoils.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
coreybv
Veteran

That would have been my inclination, as well. But when doing some Google searching on the issue, I cam across this (see second to last post). Apparently the Heli-Coils are the method recomended by Chrysler. I've also found many references stating that the coils actually produce a stronger thread than the original.

So I'm reasonably confident that I'll be ok. (crossing fingers)

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/arch.../t-114170.html

- EDIT -
Hmm... won't let me put the link in. Here's the relevant text.

Technical Service Bulletin

Front Caliper Mounting/Steering Knuckle - Thread Repair
NUMBER: 05-03-99
GROUP: Brakes
EFFECTIVE DATE: Apr. 23, 1999
SUBJECT:
Front Brake Caliper Mounting To Steering Knuckle Thread Repair
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves repair of the threads on the steering knuckle or brake caliper mounting adapter that are used to install and retain the front brake caliper housing in its correct operating location.
MODELS:
1986 - 1999 (AN) Dakota
1998 - 1999 (DN) Durango
DISCUSSION:
A Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit has been developed to repair stripped threads on the front brake caliper mounting attachment making it no longer necessary to replace the front steering knuckle/brake caliper mounting adapter when encountering stripped threads. The following information provides the repair procedure for using the Brake Knuckle Thread Repair Kit.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Place the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
2. Remove the front tire/wheel assembly.
3. Remove the brake caliper housing assembly by loosening the mounting bolts.
NOTE: IF HIGH TORQUE IS ENCOUNTERED DURING THE MOUNTING BOLT REMOVAL, IT IS LIKELY THAT THREAD DAMAGE WILL OCCUR OR HAS OCCURRED.
4. Remove the caliper housing assembly and hang the housing on the frame of the vehicle using an appropriate wire hanger.
NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW THE CALIPER HOUSING TO HANG BY ITSELF FROM THE BRAKE HOSE AS DAMAGE TO THE HOSE MAY RESULT.
5. If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, remove the adapter. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, remove retainers on the wheel studs and remove the rotor.
6. Inspect the mounting bolts and knuckle threads for damage. If either is damaged, it is likely that damage to the other has occurred as well. If damage has occurred to the threads in the form of knicks, thread pulling, or cross-threading, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
AR (1) 05016156AA Insert, Heli-Coil, M9 X 1.25
AR (1) 04886075AA Bolts, Caliper Housing Mounting
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
AR (1) 05016155AA Kit, Brake Knuckle Thread Repair
Includes:
23/64 Drill Bit
M9 X 1.25 Tap
Heli-Coil Installation Tool
Heli-Coil Tang Break-Off Rod
(25) M9 X 1.25 Stainless Steel Heli-Coils
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Using the 23/64 in. drill, drill through the brake caliper mounting attachment hole keeping the drill perpendicular to the knuckle.
2. Using the M9 X 1.25 tap, tap the drilled hole ensuring to tap the hole entirely through.
3. Install a Heli-Coil insert onto the installation tool (tool number 3747-9). Be sure the tang is properly engaged into the driving contour of the tool.
4. Install the Heli-Coil into the drilled/tapped hole by rotating the tool and exerting slight pressure onto the tool/Heli-Coil and into the drilled/tapped hole. Continue to rotate the tool until the insert is located 1/4 to 1/2 turn below the steering knuckle surface.
5. Back the Heli-Coil installation tool out of the installed Heli-Coil. Then, remove the tang from the Heli-Coil by breaking the tang off using the tang break-off tool. Place the break-off tool into the assembled insert until it rests on the Heli-Coil tang. Holding the tool squarely, strike the tool sharply with a hammer.
6. If the vehicle has a bolt-on brake caliper mounting adapter, install the adapter. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for information regarding proper brake caliper adapter mounting information. If the brake caliper mounts directly to the steering knuckle, install the rotor.
7. Install the caliper using new mounting bolts p/n 04886075AA in any location that had a Heli-Coil installed. Tighten the bolts to 30 - 35 N.m (22-26 ft. lbs.).
8. Install the tire/wheel assembly.
9. Lower the vehicle.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No:
05-80-20-93 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread Repair,
Left Side 0.4 Hrs.
05-80-20-94 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread Repair,
Right Side 0.4 Hrs.
05-80-20-50 Brake Caliper Mounting Support Thread
Repair, Each Additional Same Side 0.1 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: XX - Service Adjustment

Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Thanks. I will put it in the DIY section.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
skip1701
Default heli coil spindel

One bit of advice folks: DON'T DO IT ! My D went in for a grinding in the pass front wheel, the guys took the wheel off and the caliper dropped off the rotor and hung from its hose, I was standing right there when it happened. Looked at the holes where the caliper pins insert, and lo and behold, failed helicoils. Had to replace the whole spindel

Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

There is a TSB from Chrysler on this and from the sound of your post you didn't do a CORRECT brake job.

Sorry!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM
skip1701
Default bad helicoils

Sorry, I didn't mention that I had bought the truck 9 days before, someone really messed up the helicoil repair. They were stripped and broken, no way to re insert new ones, hence the new spindle. But I love my D. Hughes plenum re-enforce ment kit gets installed tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by skip1701
someone really messed up the helicoil repair.

^ That's what I'm saying. ^

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-09-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 D - Brake issue