1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 AM
gr8scott72
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny woes

As some of you know, my tranny crapped out on me about a month ago. (Friday Feb 15)

I have been dealing with Dan at www.thefastman.com almost this whole time as he came highly recommended from people on here.

I left him a $1,500 deposit last month (Feb) and he had his partner (Martin) start building my tranny. (Friday Feb 29)

It finally shipped last week (Tuesday Mar 11)about a week later than Dan originally thought it would.

Dan then charged me for the balance - $1,650.

It's been in town at the shipping company since Monday (Mar 17)but due to some mix up with the payment of the shipping, wasn't delivered to the tranny shop until today. (Thursday Mar 20)

The tranny shop owner calls me and says there is a big problem. He says that the tranny is a 4wd tranny. (I have a 2wd.) ARRHGG!!!!My heart just about stops!

He also asked me what is special about the torque converter and asks how much I paid for the it. I said it was a normal converter and that it was $350. He said he gets ones like that for $83. My heart sinks even further.

Here's the break down of the price:
$1,850 - tranny
$350 - converter
$700 - core
$250 - shipping

for a grand total of $3,150.

I'm waiting to hear back from Dan to see what he wants me to do with it.

I've been very happy with Dan and he has answered all of my questions quickly and is easy to get ahold of and I'm sure he will do the right thing.

He made it sound like he's going to eat the shipping.

I guess the only things I'm really upset about is that I've already been without my D for over a month and STILL don't have a tranny for it and the thing about the $83 converter costing me $350. (I haven't talked to Dan about the converter yet.)

And, as there really isn't any thing I can do about this, I'm really just ranting and letting off some steam.

I was really excited when I found out the tranny was going to be delivered today and that I'd be getting the D back by this weekend or Monday-Tuesday at the latest. Now it looks like it's going to be several more weeks of waiting.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tranny woes

Scott:

Sorry to hear of your tranny dilemma. Sounds like a human error and/or miscommunication which our good friend Mr. Murphy and his wonderful Law like to throw in our faces now and then.

I have never delt with Dan or Martin, but have read many, many good things and almost nothing negative. In a case such as this, the shipping part is always a bear since we usually rely on a third party to get that done. This time of year things like snow, earthquakes, and the ever present traffic crash and put a wrench in things.

About the convertor: I can not imagine anyone selling a new unit for $83. That sounds to me like a refurbished or reconditioned unit. My guess would be that for $350 you get a new convertor.

I am thinking that things will work out in your favor when all is said and done. Keep us posted.

Don

Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed. That convertor is a rebuilt. NO WAY!!!!

New convertor only Scott. Also the convertor might need to re returned. Talk to them and ask about an oversized convertor.

Last thing, MAKE SURE THEY CLEAN OUT YOUR COOLERS AND RADIATOR GOOD!!!!!!!

If any, I MEAN ANY, metal flake gets in the trans it can burn that thing up SO fast your head will spin.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Agreed. That convertor is a rebuilt. NO WAY!!!!

New convertor only Scott. Also the convertor might need to re returned. Talk to them and ask about an oversized convertor.

Last thing, MAKE SURE THEY CLEAN OUT YOUR COOLERS AND RADIATOR GOOD!!!!!!!

If any, I MEAN ANY, metal flake gets in the trans it can burn that thing up SO fast your head will spin.
We are going to bypass the stock cooler altogether. He's going to install the biggest cooler he can fit in there.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:59 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

I talked to Dan Tuesday. He said he's sending the shipping company out to pick up the tranny. They are going to just change it to a 2wd tranny. That means that I have at least 3 more weeks to wait AFTER it's actually picked up, which it's not yet.

I figure 1 week to ship it back to CA from MS, 1 or more weeks for him to make it into the right one, and 1 more week to ship it back to MS from CA.

This is getting rediculous!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, yeah i can understand your frustration. I've dealt with Dan numerous times and he is a real good guy, having a shipping problem like that with the inccorrect trans is a 1 in a million shot for him so that really sucks. I guess with all the work they get (Dan/Mart)a slip up was bound to happen at some time, sorry to hear it was with yours, but on a good note congrats on purchasing the last transmission you will ever need, you wont be dissapointed.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

True you won't be disappointed.

Well problems occure and that is just the way of life. I hope your problems our on their way out.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the torque converter that comes with fastman trannys is a heavy duty street/strip converter rated up to 650hp based on their comments from their site. Much better than OEM and is new if I recall. I paid the same price for my tranny and converter with core and s/h from dan and my D is running great. I was able to return my dead tranny for around $180 using the same freight company martin used to ship to me (old dominion). so your 700 core credit will be minus your S/H fee to return your original tranny back to them.

Overall price is pricey, but I know I will have a bullet proof tranny ready to handle some serious HP/Torque whenever I get some money to start seriously beefing up the engine.

I went the safe route and had my radiator replaced with the replacement of the new tranny. My tranny cooler is built into the radiator. My radiator has signs of fatigue anyways (at 80k in texas heat) to prevent any possible leftover contaminants going back to my new fastman tranny.

I was without my my Durango for about a month also. But only because I was waiting in line for mine. Martin was taking his vacation break then and when he came back, had alot of trannys to build and ship out.

Patience is virtue here! One thing I don't rush is perfection and reliability.

Scott, if you can budget another item, ask dan for a throttlebody upgrade? He gave me I think a 25% discount off his TB when I bought a tranny from him.

Quick Reply: Tranny woes