1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What tools will I need for this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tools will I need for this?

I am about to change out the front upper control arm bushings on my 2001 4WD Durango. I have never done bushings before .. It looks simple .. Will I need any special tools for this? I assume I need to use a press to press the bushings out and the new ones in ... Will I need to make a "cup" for the control arm to be able to do this?

Also I am only finding upper bushings... Can the bottom ones not be changed?

is there anything else I need to know to be able to take the upper control arm off? I have a Hayne's manual but it looks pretty simple ... Anything under pressure or load I need to be carful of while taking this off? I should be able to just pop the ball joint and unbolt the 2 large bolts to pull it off right ?

I hope I can get rid of the damn squeak in the front end ... What type of grease should I lobe them with ?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: What tools will I need for this?

Some people just put a puller on it and hit it with a impact wrench.

It is not spring loaded.

I've never just replaced the bearings so I don't know if they can be pulled.

Final, sway bar bushings probably need replaced. It is better to go with poly but NAPA sells the OEM style for a good price. Just measure your diameter of the sway bar for correct fit. If the bushings are still good, just unbolt both sides by the CV and tip them down to lubricate them. You can spray in some lubrication into the ones by the frame and work it into the bushings while you have just the sides unbolted. Do this without lifting the truck. Just slide under to do the work.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What tools will I need for this?

So do the Control arm bushings not squeak ? Is it usually the sway arm bushings? Will it be under load if I drive up some ramps so I can get under to them? Not sure if I can fit easily under the front without driving up ramps....

Quick Reply: What tools will I need for this?