Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Heater/AC will not blow correct

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Sunwest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_b_8888
I played around with the controls some and here is what I have found ...

When I turn the "directional" selector to any setting floor,vent, defrost ect ... I hear what sounds like a electric motor noise or it could be some sort of air actuated device also .. I do hear a "changing" sound everytime I change the selection.. it does not sounds the same everytime... meaning some are short and some are long movements..... it makes the same sound everytime I go back to a certain setting...

I have no air to the floor, barely any air to the front vents .. seems like all or most of the air it going out of the dash defroster vents this does not change no matter what setting I put it on .. the very rear heat seams to work ok ....The vents half way back on each side for the middle area does not blow hot air but always blows cool air ... the rear controls however will adjust the heat for the very rear just fine ...

This is the same problem I am having, except mine is stuck on the dash vents. I know this is an older post, but did you ever find the fix for this?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:14 PM
revpete

2002 Durango SLT

Mine does the same thing.
I had part of the dash apart on the drivers side, between the steering and center.
The actuator control is the problem. 2 pegs tracking in a wheel to open/close different vents. pegs popped out of the grooves they were to be in, causing flipper doors to not move.
Took a trip to Fla, AC worked good, then came winter. now its stuck in def.
So, back under the dash this spring I go. then to tackle the rear heat prob. I hear its kind of the same, only in the rear right side.

Do I have to remove the rear seat???

Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
ranger473
Default Stuck on Defroster

"revpete" has the answer for the problem I had - I just wasn't brave enough to dig that far into the dash. He (she?) has my admiration!
I took it into the dealer once and the mechanic "re-timed it" which is to say he set the pins or pegs back into the "cam wheel" that moves all the different flaps and doors. The "re-time" didn't work for long (I was warned by the mechanic) so I took it back in and they replaced the entire lower unit (which contains the cam wheel as well all the lower vents and ducts). I had some other work done at the same time and they gave me some discounts - I think the lower unit cost was about $850.00 or so. The new lower unit has been redesigned and eliminated the duct to the backseat... They didn't do anything to strengthen the cam mechanism so I think the same thing can happen again. I like the Durango but if I get a hint that this starts to happen again, I'll sell it and go back to Ford. Good luck!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
ranger473

Unfortunately, I did...and it isn't pretty.

I just looked for the records and I can't find that set - seems I have all the rest though - go figure. Anyhow, there is an actuator and cam that jumps out of the track it is supposed to ride in. The cam is what opens and closes the various doors to direct the airflow to various vents.
When I went in (local Dodge dealer) the mechanic did the trouble shooting and said there are two options:
1. Manually reset the cam and hopes it stays in track - maybe a 50 /50 shot or
2. Replace the entire distribution unit

I went went with option one for $142.50 and it worked for about a week... I then returned and had the distribution unit replaced for around $900.00 but that was with a big coupon as well as some other work (this is the paperwork I can't find...) The work was done over a year and half ago and it still works fine.

The new unit has some changes; the plastic around the cam unit that caused the original problem is slightly different and a little stronger, hopefully preventing the problem. It also eliminates the vent that goes to the back seat. That has not been a problem for us.

The job sounded bigger than I wanted to tackle and in hind sight, it was. I went into the dealer during the work and everything between the back seat and the windshield was removed - pretty interesting to see it that way... I did a close inspection when the work was complete and I could not find any fit and finish issues and everything worked except the lighter in the dash ashtray. They came out and fixed that (loose wire) while I waited and gave me a $15.00 discount for the trouble.

I am not clear on the total cost because of the other work but I would prepare for about a grand. If you are comfortable, and have the tools, time and expertise to remove that much of the interior, you could save quite a bit in labor but it is not something I can tackle.

Hope this helps!
Kim - 2001 Durango

Old 12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
ranger473

Update to my own question...
I had the problem fixed at the local dealer but I just looked for the records and I can't find that set - seems I have
all the rest though - go figure. Anyhow, there is an actuator and cam
that jumps out of the track it is supposed to ride in. The cam is
what opens and closes the various doors to direct the airflow to
various vents.
When I went in (local Dodge dealer) the mechanic did the trouble
shooting and said there are two options:
1. Manually reset the cam and hopes it stays in track - maybe a 50 /50 shot or
2. Replace the entire distribution unit

I went went with option one for $142.50 and it worked for about a
week... I then returned and had the distribution unit replaced for
around $900.00 but that was with a big coupon as well as some other
work (this is the paperwork I can't find...) The work was done over a
year and half ago and it still works fine.

The new unit has some changes; the plastic around the cam unit that
caused the original problem is slightly different and a little
stronger, hopefully preventing the problem. It also eliminates the
vent that goes to the back seat. That has not been a problem for us.

The job sounded bigger than I wanted to tackle and in hind sight, it
was. I went into the dealer during the work and everything between
the back seat and the windshield was removed - pretty interesting to
see it that way... I did a close inspection when the work was
complete and I could not find any fit and finish issues and everything
worked except the lighter in the dash ashtray. They came out and
fixed that (loose wire) while I waited and gave me a $15.00 discount
for the trouble.

I am not clear on the total cost because of the other work but I would
prepare for about a grand. If you are comfortable, and have the
tools, time and expertise to remove that much of the interior, you
could save quite a bit in labor but it is not something I can tackle.

Hope this helps!
Kim

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Avanay22
Default Similar Problem but not exactly the same!

I have done so much research and there are so many different answers but almost all are related to problems with the A/C. I have a 2001 Durango 4.7L 4WD I do not have any trouble getting air to come from any of the vents the only problem I am having is that the floor heat blows extremely cold. It never gets warm the upper vents blow hot enough to make us sweat but the air coming through the florr vents are cold enough to have to sit on our feet. I have both front and rear controls and I am told that there is an upper and lower blower motor, I am going to start by replacing the lower blower motor relay that is 15.00 to see if that changes anything, but any other suggestions would be so helpful. The heat was working just fine I went into 7-11 and when I came out turned the heat back on it was blowing cold. I was told that if it were the motor it wouldn't have just stopped so suddenly. So any help will be appreciated.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there is a front and rear blower motor, however if allthe speeds are working fine on them then the resistor is fine, it almost sounds to me like the air isnt mixing properly when you put the heat on feet, i would look at an actuator problem.

P.S. since your problem is different you should have made your own thread to eliminate confustion in this one

Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Avanay22
Default Sorry

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
there is a front and rear blower motor, however if allthe speeds are working fine on them then the resistor is fine, it almost sounds to me like the air isnt mixing properly when you put the heat on feet, i would look at an actuator problem.

P.S. since your problem is different you should have made your own thread to eliminate confustion in this one
Sorry for the confusion I should have made a new thread. I will copy this and do just that but I did want to say that while the floor air vlows cold it does not change speeds its a constant cold draft as if is is pulling cold air in from outside as if a vent is stuck open.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC will not blow correct