1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

durango wont start dont know why

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
ddmetal333
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default durango wont start dont know why

i have a 2003 5.9L durango with about 64k miles on it. a few months back in the winter i went to start my car and it wouldnt turn over, you could hear the plugs fireing and smell gas and in about a min or so it fired and it happend a few more times. this would happen every so often untill it got so bad that it wouldnt start at alll untill the battery was drained. i changed the spark plugs on it and got it to start took it to a dealer they said i needed new rotor, wires, cap. it worked for a while then a week later same problem, took it to a different dealer they said i had 2 leaking injectors and my intake wasnt down tight. it worked for a while and then same problem. took it back again they changed the crank position and cam position sensor. and once agin it happend. no idea what it is but ive noticed it tends to happen when it is rainy or damp and cold........ any ideas?[:@][:@][:@]its a very frustrating and embarassing problem

Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
deerang
All Star
Default RE: durango wont start dont know why

the rain or damp is leading me to think its your distributor cap.. moisture under the cap could cause poor spark to your plugs..

when your D does start, how does it run? Run like it doesnt even have a problem starting, or run rough, misfire?

I had an old VW with that problem, wouldnt start if it was raining.. There was a crack in the windshield moulding and water was dripping behind the dash, onto the main fuse block and shorting it out.. Slowly things stopped working until one day (when it was dry) it didnt start at all.. saw a bunch of corrosion on the back side of the fuse block from water sitting on it all the time..

moral of that story is maybe its something stupid like a crack in the top of your fuse panel cover, and water/moisture is collecting under it... pop the hood on a damp day when it doesnt run and check it..

Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
ddmetal333

ya dude ill definatly give that a checkand let you know how it goes.

after it starts up it runs fine the only other thing ive noticed is that when i put it on cruise around 75 mph every now and then it will rev up slightly, just enough to feel it and here it for a second then go back down. but other wise it runs great

Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DD333:

Are you the first or second owner of this D?? 2003-2005 Durangos came with a 7/70 powertrain warranty that could still be in effect if you are #1 or #2 and paid the xfer fee.

Your trans blip issue is most likely a bad TPS. This is located on the throttle body and take about 15 minutes to change. Costs about $40.

Seems like you are having quite a few issues for an 03 with only 64k.

One more thing. If your battery is OEM, have it load tested and if it is the least bit flaky replace it. Our Durangos are very sensitive to bad batteries.

Don

Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
ddmetal333

i am the technically the second owner. the dealership i got it from, the owners wife drove it for about 4k miles when i got it. i dont think i still have the warrenty because im sure my dad would have said somthing.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know for sure. I had the same problems .One your non starting problem is your ignition coil. two the rev prolem is your Throttle Position Sensor. aAs our Durangos get older they fail. Check me out @ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2646307

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
ddmetal333

the ignition coil huh. when i get back in town i will tell the shop to look at it, how much did it cost you and as far as the tps it really doesnt bug me too much but do you think i should get it changed any ways?..... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets start with the basics. I you hear a humming sound when you turn the ignition key then your fuelpump is working. You could say yeah the sprk plug is firing but is it strong enough. Have your coilohm tested at you localmecanic shop. Coils run from 45 to 80 bucks.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:06 AM
ddmetal333

i know the fuel pump is working cause i smell gas. ikll get my coil tested aND LET U KNOWM WHATS UP

Quick Reply: durango wont start dont know why