1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help with Shocks on my 2001

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 01:10 AM
txspecs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Shocks on my 2001

I need help. The rears look incredibly easy. Could do them blind. The fronts...seem to be inside the springs. Any help in steps to take to replacing them? Also, do I actually HAVE to
even remove the tires in the back and jack the back end up to replace the rears? Maybe I am making this too simple....Thanks for any help.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:32 AM
rockadaous
Professional
Default RE: Help with Shocks on my 2001

welcome to the boards. your right they're easy. just remove your spare and go at it. the fronts are just as easy.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:21 PM
robust57
Rookie

front's seem to be inside the springs????? There are no springs, coil overs or struts on the durangos. There is a bolt that needs to be removed from the bottom of the shock, and then there is a nut that needs to be removed on the top of the shock. That's it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes per side.

Old 01-13-2005, 03:34 PM
doziersdodge
Professional

On my 99, the front shock is in the middle of the spring. Just unbolt the two bolts on the bottom and the single bolt on top and pull the old shock out through the bottom of the lower control arm. There is just enough room to pull it out.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:50 AM
txspecs

Well, I chickened out. I do work 6 days a week, and have two little girls under 3, so I took one of them and went Shock shopping. Got a pair of Monroe Sensitrax for the front, and for the rear. WARNING. This is not enough for the front pair, and I had to get two Monroe Reflex for the fronts only. It rides great now. Got my buddy to put em on at the Midas for me, and he took good care of me. It was not a faulty shock on the fronts, we had em checked. Just remember to put a heavier shock on the front, at least. My D is not a 4 X 4 if that helps too.
I got the 4.7 in a 2 W D.

Thanks for the help from the posts!!!

Quick Reply: Help with Shocks on my 2001