1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

rectifier bridge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
440shadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rectifier bridge?

i was talking to some guys. about how my alternator works, and oneof the was saying that basicaly the aternator makes ac power like a house, and inside of the alternator the are at least 6 diodes making up the rectifier bridge that converts the ac power into dc power for my durango to run. he told more stuff about how they work, but the whole ac/dc thing i just don't know. now this guy sounded very smart. but i just wanted to know if he was right. cause if so i thing he will be my permanent mechanic

Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: rectifier bridge?

Yes that is correct.

The alternator first makes AC power. On each of the three lobes sits two diodes for a total of 6. These diodes are refered to as the rectifier bridge. They convert the AC current to DC.

Now just because he nows this doesn't mean he is a good mechanic. He might of just rewired alternators

Why may I ask would you think he is a good mechanic just for this?
And what are you having worked on?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 PM
440shadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the reason i think he is a good mechanic is because i have seen a couple of his vehicals in action. and why i was gonna use him is cause my durango was having an electrical problem with not charging. i took it to a local dealer and they quoted my a price of 400-700 dollars to fix it. and he fixed it for free in about 2 mins. thats how we got on the how an alternator works. he is an awsome guy. the shop he works out of has a full machine shop, powdercoating/paint area an engine dyno. and all he works on are these trucks. the best part of this guy is he lets just about anybody use his equipment for free, and if he has the parts in his shop that you need to fix your rig, he just lets you have them. and says its better they get used than sit and rot.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a great guy. Be sure that you always give him something for his time and always give him something for use of the machines.

Never want to screw up something like that. Even if he dosen't take the ($20) or whatever just leve it on the desk or force him to take it. This will insure that you are always welcome.

Quick Reply: rectifier bridge?