1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango trans over heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM
douglas0413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango trans over heating problem

I just put a rebuilt 46re trans in my 98 durango and im having problems with the trans over heating light comming on after about 10 min. of driving. When this happens it also kicks off the over drive. can anyone help me with this problem?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 98 Durango trans over heating problem

Did you replace the radiator which has the tranny cooler built in?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 PM
douglas0413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didnt replace it using the same radiator

Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm thinking plugged radiator, Plugged Trans cooler, or maybe the filter was just not installed right or wrong one. There also could be a blocked/broken check valve. These are located right where the medal lines comming from the transmission meet the ruber lines before they input into and from the radiator/cooler.

Also band adjustment could be off. Sensor could be bad, something wrong in valve body. Insufficent fluid presure.

The list goes on.

This is why I paid for it! [:@]

Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually when you get your tranny rebuilt/replaced, it is good practice to have all the transmission fluid lines flushed out and replace the OEM radiator only because the transmission cooler is built into the OEM radiator. I did this when my tranny went out and ordered the fastman replacement based on input from other forum users here and their experiences with blown transmissions. I lost reverse gear on mine and when the techs took out the pan, and saw alot of debris, I am almost certain some of that debris may have gotten into the cooler and could possibly work its way back to my new tranny and put me back to square one with a broken tranny. So new or rebuilt transmission should have a new radiator and clean fluid linesand clean cooler to go with it.

Some users went one step further and added a custom filter on the tranny lines either just coming out of the tranny or before the lines enter the cooler to keep the lines clean.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

True Kensai,

The inline filter is awesome!

But, the OEM also installed an optional transmission cooler like mine equipped with the tow package.

Basically, the incoming trans line (hot) goes into the radiator to help in cooling. This also has another reaction. When a vehicle is cold, it also acts as a warmer for the trans as well.

With the tow package like mine the fluid then flows into an optional secondary cooler. These are located between the condenser and the radiator. Then the cool fluid runs back to cool the trans.

In my case, I have this setup. I also installed a third performance cooler than sits out in front of the condenser that cools even more. Mine cools 3 times before re-entering the trans.

Quick Reply: 98 Durango trans over heating problem