1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

headers on stock system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:58 PM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers on stock system?

i have a 2001 dodge durango slt 4x4 and i have a k&n cai and a flowmaster super 40 muffler if i get headers will i see any power gains ? cause the rest of my piping is stock underneath just the mufflers changed.

thanks.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: headers on stock system?

I think it is recommended that you change out the what we call the "y" pipe. Basically the pipes that come off the exhaust manifold and join into a single pipe and then run to the cat. It has been reported that this "y" pipe is the main restriction as the pipe is said to be around 2 inches in diameter. I think some performance shops sell this replacement "Y" pipe with sizes at 2.5 inches or even 3 inches.

If you go true duals, then this "Y" pipe will be eliminated.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would replace everything from the Y pipe to the exhaust tip in 3". MagnaFlow makes a Y pipe at 3" for this install before the headers are installed. Youshould get this done first.

Yes you will see power gains in horse power but might loose some torque. There is a lot of heat generated from header installs that cause cracking of wires over time as well as manifold gaskets being blown in some instances. I don't recomend them unless super chargers are installed.

Each to their own tho.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Kensai
Champion

+2

I had some bad experiences using headers and losing torque was one of them. Installed them on my Toyota and man, no torque for my little 22RE to turn my 31 inch BFG all terrains. Plus, I went thru 3 sets of headers from various manufacturers due to stress from the engine I guess. the headers only last less than 2 years. The stupid center where the 4 pipes meet breaks and exhaust blows out from that center hole. Since then, I don't even bother using headers anymore unless I have some serious HP to generate. The stock manifolds should do fine for the everyday user.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=feedback.gif]Kensai, hey I was wondering about your past use of headers. you say you lost torque when you added them. did you also lose gas mileage? Hydrashacker Do you have the Y pipe installed on your "D"? if so did you lose torque and gas mileage. BTW my gas mileage was @ 13mpg because I needed an oil change now it's 15.5 mpg. city . Will yall check out water4gas.com and tell me what you think I plan to try this out on my "D". YOu have to pay to read the E books so PM me if you chose not topay. this seems to be really interesting!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Kensai
Champion

Gas mileage was unaffected. I just know that after using the headers, the low end torque wasn't there to turn my big 31 inch tires on my lil toyota. Highway was even worse. I cannot even maintain 60 mph in top 5th gear. I went and re-installed the factory cast iron manifold after my 3rd set of headers blew on me. I just don't have any confidence in aftermarket headers anymore as far as reliability.

I guess the only time headers would benefit an engine with big gains in horsepower and torque is if the engine is supercharged where it requires to have a free flowing exhaust system.

When I had my 85 Dodge Shelby charger, I changed out the cat and change the piping starting from exhaust manifold from 2 inches to 2.5 inches all the way thru a new free flowing cat and then split out to two single in / single out 2.5 inch mufflers. This upgrade definitely make my turbo spool up much faster and virtually nearly eliminated any turbo lag I had previously. Acceleration even on highway is definitely noticable.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes I have the Y pipe. And no My truck was ok. But I have a lot of upgrades that make up the difference.

We are checking into HHO "water for gas" right now. Just hold on for a while!

Quick Reply: headers on stock system?