1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango Shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
R1Rider1038
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Durango Shifting problem

I have an 01 Durango that has actually been very reliable for me. Now, however, it seems that something is going bad. While starting from a stop or just from moving slowly (1st gear), it revs up to around 3k rpm before it will shift. I have tried letting off the gas to "force" it to shift, but it will not shift into 2nd until around 3000 rpm. I am going to look tonight to see if maybe the vacuum line came off or if there is another noticable problem, but does anyone have ideas or have had this problem before?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: 01 Durango Shifting problem

Try these.

Your clutch packs could be worn. Rebuild.

Fluid and filter change with a band adjustment.

Incorrect or low lubricant level.

There might be an adjustment. What engine and trans are we looking at here????

Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
R1Rider1038

2001 Durango 4.7 not sure about the trans other than 4x4. I recently had the fluid/filter changed and the band adjusted.

The problem evolved yesterday evening, however. After leaving work, I noticed that starting from a dead stop took a lot of "effort" from the engine to get travelling. This perked my curiosity; at the next light I let off the brake and the car didn't roll forward like it should. I manually put the trans into "1" to force it into first and let off the brake...it rolled forward. AHA! So now the trans in drive doesn't go all the way down to first...GREAT. It is trying to start from a stop in second, which from having a few manual trans cars I know isn't the greatest thing in the world for a clutch. If I put the trans in "2", it will start in 1st also, but still revs up to around 2-2.5k rpms before shifting. I am hoping still that it is a fluid/cooling/vacuum issue, but it is not looking good.

Anyone have this experience or any ideas?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could just be a linkage adjustment and they could have adjusted it too tight. Just take it back there should be a warranty.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your fluids again. My replacement tranny did the same thing after it was installed. Rechecked the fluids and it was running low. Filled up the fluids and the problem went away. But at times, the tranny still wants to start off in 2nd gear from a stop, I have to slap the shifter to 1st to force it into first from a stop. I think I haven't broken in the new tranny yet. Not even have over a 1k miles on the tranny since I had it replaced back in Aug 07. May think of getting the fluids changed again to get rid of any old fluids that got mixed with new fluids that may have been in the tranny that fastman built.

Other than that it may be possible your governor actuator switches may be on its way out.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
sweeneyjoe

I had a similar thing on my 2000 D 4.7 45RFE tranny 4X4 and it was a bad rear speed sensor. Changed it out for about $15.00 and its like new.

Quick Reply: 01 Durango Shifting problem