1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

reverse light malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Haplucki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse light malfunction

My reverse light's do not work. I replaced the bulbs and still nothing. Is there a reverse switch on the steering column if so where is it located.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM
jmartin8310
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reverse light malfunction

A couple of years ago, I had to replace the reverse light switch on my '99 Durango. It is not a difficult job,but there area couple of bits of advice I could offer. The switch is located on the transmission, on the right side as I recall, just above the transmission "pan". Look for an electrical connection with two wires. Now for the adviceone of the bolts that holds the transmission pan comes up right under the reverse light switch, so that you can't get a wrench on it. Simply back that bolt out a few turns, and there is plenty of room for a socket wrench to remove the reverse light switch. Second bit of advicewhen you remove the reverse light switch, you will spill penty of automatic transmission fluid unless you have partially drained the transmission. So either drain the transmission and service it with a new filter and fluid (might be a good time to do that), or just drain about three quarts and replace the switch. Don't forget to re-tighten the bolt and replace the ATF, and you're in business.

Quick Reply: reverse light malfunction