1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

chopping my cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:17 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default chopping my cat

i was having terrible problems with my durango , o2 sensor codes , sputtering, no powr, and a weird poping noise with complete loss of power. so having just replaced my rotor-cap-plugs-wires ect, i decided to take a saws-all to my catalytic converter, and replacedit with 2 flex pipes and a 12" steel pipe. clamped it all together, drilled out a hole for my rear o2 sensor (used 2 spark plugnon-foulers into the pipe then screwed the o2 sen. into them.)

now i have more power than ever, no check engine light, and one great sounding exhaust and im still on the same tank but i think im getting better gas mileage.

also if you do this dont try to beat a hole through your catalytic converter. its near impossible and the scrap yard wont give you hardly any money for it if the honeycomb is messed up. they sayd if i wouldnt have beaten on it they would have given me $65. only got $20.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
duff73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chopping my cat

My truck seems to be suffering the same symptoms as yours (pre-cat removal) I have to take it in for a smog test (the joys of living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada) and I was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you weld on a straight pipe to take up the space the Cat did or did you just clamp something in place? MY only problem is that i don't have a welder, and when I inquired about putting on a new Cat, Midas told me it was 600 for the new Cat and install, so I told him I'd be out of my mind to do something like that. Give me some details if you can - it would be appreciated.

Duff

Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh its not postinggggggggggggggg

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the cat in the system, there are no performance gains in our D's by removing the cat. The stock cat is plenty good enough, unless you ran into a clog/break issue. I currently have the magnaflow 59959, 3" center spun. That thing was tiny, but it sure did pep up the tone pretty good with PPH headers and flowmaster 40's. Search the internet for aftermrket cats. I got my magnaflow for $85. then had it installed for $30. I wouldnt pay anything more when supplying the cat.
Look into the Magnaflows if you want a replacement. (Im speaking money/time/size wise- did my homework xD )
2.75"-59958
2.5"-59956
2.25"-59955
*Edit- Almost forgot to mention they are OBDII complient and will pass emissions.