1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Resistor Pack Connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:46 PM
rf600r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistor Pack Connector

My 03 has a blower motor problem, and it appears it's related to the resistor pack issue. When I went to change it out, I found the part of the wire harness that plugs into that pack, is pretty much fried. One of the black wires is burnt up and I can no longer unplug the pack from the harness.

SO.. I assume someone must make that part of the wire harness, but I can't seem to find a part number either OEM or aftermarket. I need the connector, and enough wire on it to splice it back into the harness. Can anyone point me in the direction to find this part?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: Resistor Pack Connector

I was just in this scenario my friend, The harness power wire (blue/yellow) was fried, on the resistor. My solution was to replace the harness and resistor. Fortunately for me the local salvage yard had in stock. My cost was $25 and I just spliced into the existing harness. A couple of quick tips that hopefully will make the project go easier.

1. When you get the donor harness and resistor from the salvage yard, cut as far up as you can towards the firewall, this gives you plenty of wire to splice into. FYI My donor harness came from a 02 DAKOTA locationis under dash, passenger side. Color code is as follows:

BLUE/YELLOW power from resistor-motor
LT BLUE MED2
LT GREEN MED1
TANLOW
BLACK/TAN HIGH

2. With your vehicle, do just the opposite it took me a few splices due to botched connections, I recommend one piece connectors andsplice carefully.

3. BE very careful with the blower motor. I removed mine to give me more room for the splicing but I accidentally unseated the power wire from the motor-ignition. (GREEN WIRE.)

4. I purchased a dealer resistor, but due to no return policy I still have it. I used the salvage yard resistor for troubleshootingand left it in, it works fine but if it burns out, then I have a dealer resistor still in the box as a onboard spare.

5. You can get a new dealer harness but the wire is unmarked and you have to assemble everything from scratch including the connectors and plugs.

Hope this gets you a good start

Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: Resistor Pack Connector

Check out this title in the forum search. FRONT BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR. This is a fairly active topic lately, I am sure that the 90 degrees + temps might have something to do with it.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM
2004 dakota club cab 2wd 6cyl

thanks magic84. i have the same blower motor resitor connector problem - fried! i tried the junk yard route but no one had a recent dakota on the lot. i broke down and bought the resistor connector from the dealer ($65). can't figure out how to force the new wires with attached tips into the plastic connector housing without destroying something. does the connector come apart for easy replacement?

is there a diagram or set of instructions available for this?

Last edited by 2004 dakota club cab 2wd 6cyl; 08-30-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: missed last sentence

Quick Reply: Resistor Pack Connector