1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 and up?? is it worth it????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:34 PM
frankv569
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 and up?? is it worth it????

im in the market for a new to me - used suv. my current intrests are either a 99 and up jeep grand cherokee v8 or a 98-99 and up dodge durando v8 . ive been doing my best to research them both. i have been pulling up 98% bad reviews on the durango from owners who have owned them at least 1 year on everything from front suspension needs replaced EVERY year to major tranny failures at relatively low milages. and, the engines failing and having problems when all maintinence was performed on time and properly-and the warranty companies/manufacturer have turned them down on replacement stating 'neglect'. what s the deal? 98% of the jeep reviews are good ones. i trust the idea of the solid front axle/components over the junk ifs -grocery getter suspension . but , i would prefer the size of the durango over the jeep. my current vehicles are a cummins ram dana 60 soild front axle and dana 80 rear axle .and a 96 jeep cherokee with front solid axle dana 30 and rear corp 8.25 so, im not too concerned with "ride quality' like some may be. please help me to make an informed decision.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Julies D
Default RE: 98 and up?? is it worth it????

Ummm.... I don't know where you are finding the 'great reviews' on the JGC, but I can tell you that you will have the same problems with both (we replaced the tranny in our ZJ twice before she hit 80K). We have owned two Jeeps, one SFA and one IFS. You do know that the new Grands have IFS also, right?

Anyway, that debate is another topic altogether, and unless you go rock crawling you will have no probs at all with even the most difficult terrain.

More than likely with either vehicle you will encounter many more repairs than if you bought say a Landcruiser. We are very happy with the D so far, but compared to our 97 Landcruiser it is totally different. I would take the Crusier on any 'mission critical' trip whereas with a Jeep or the D, I may think twice.

Good luck with your search.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

I've got a '99 with almost 135K on it, and the only recurring issue I've ever had was the ball joints. The engine and tranny both have been flawless to date. Did have a problem with the electric gate latch when it was new, but that was fixed under warranty.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:03 PM
frankv569

well, it was very easy to find the reviews. all i did was type in "dodge durango reviews" in my yahoo search and it let me search by year once i entered the sites. did the same with the jgc. well, point well taken on the rock crawlin - just what i actually prefer. i understand all models CAN have a problem - but the owners comments im reading makes it seem like its EVERY durango ever made. look , i am a chrysler supporter - did i mention that i also have a concorde? lol my father has a diesel ram thanks to my convincing. my brother in law has an '04 jgc and an '05 unlimited and a 99 1500. were pretty much a 'chrysler family' I am looking to purchase another - i just want some reassurance on which one. would you consider it 'higher maintinence' than some others - good other wise? or all aroun d not a risk and 100% worth it when compared to all other similar priced , midsize american v8 suvs. has anyone experienced the engine failures and oil pump failures that were turned down for warranty or manufacturer warranty?

Old 01-28-2005, 05:19 PM
robust57
Rookie

Friend I love my 98 durango. I beat the crap out of it 4 wheeling too. Sure I've needed to do some work on the IFS, I've basically rebuilt the the thing but that's to be expected at 120K with many 4x4 trips. Sure a solid front axle conversion is on my list but the IFS isn't so bad. Wheel travel is good and so is the articulation for a stock SUV. I personally think the Durango needs to be abused and then its a good SUV, when it's just a grocery getter that's the true abuse to it.

Here's my list of issues I've had in the 5 years of owning this SUV from 38k to the current 120k.

Heater core needed to be replaced around 65k
new upper and lower ball joints replaced around 80k
shocks around 75k, don't use monroe if you are doing any offroad they are junk.
new rear leaf spring, snapped the longest leaf while doing an agressive hill climb. Drove all the way home on it without further damage.
standard break replacement

I keep up on all maintenance and I think this is a very good track record for the abuse I put my ride through. I've had 3 friends with older cherokees that haven't lasted more than 2 years and have issues keeping up on the trails. My Dodge has always gotten me home and its my daily driver.

Quick Reply: 98 and up?? is it worth it????