1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 dodge durango owners manual pdf

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

ON the back side of the T-case, there will be a round tag with the identification info for your transfer case. Need to know which one it is. There were a couple different options...... (NV231, 242, etc.)

Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
ON the back side of the T-case, there will be a round tag with the identification info for your transfer case. Need to know which one it is. There were a couple different options...... (NV231, 242, etc.)
Here is a picture of the shift lever. Upon further checking it appears that this Durango came equipped with "Full Time 4wd" (per the tag in the glove box) I will be crawling back under the truck in a few minutes to check the tag on the transfer case. Per Dodge (yeah I know on a 17 yr old vehicle you cannot go by what the vin number said) it should have a 242 transfer case. I will update this when I figure out what the exact case it. Thanks again. (As a disclaimer, I have no clue what the wires are that are in the picture, but I intend to find out )

Steve

Old 11-29-2017, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

According to the shifter, your Durango is kinda/sorta all wheel drive. The "4wd" selection is for normal driving, and all four wheels get power, with differentiation in the t-case between front and rear drivelines. (for turning corners and such on high traction surfaces.) 4hi lock is "real" four wheel drive, for use ONLY in low traction conditions. (deep snow, mud, or off-roading.) 4 Lo lock is low range 4 wheel drive. (no differentiation in t-case, front and rear are locked together.) For use in truly knarly terrain, or, to pull your boat up that REALLY steep ramp.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:18 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
According to the shifter, your Durango is kinda/sorta all wheel drive. The "4wd" selection is for normal driving, and all four wheels get power, with differentiation in the t-case between front and rear drivelines. (for turning corners and such on high traction surfaces.) 4hi lock is "real" four wheel drive, for use ONLY in low traction conditions. (deep snow, mud, or off-roading.) 4 Lo lock is low range 4 wheel drive. (no differentiation in t-case, front and rear are locked together.) For use in truly knarly terrain, or, to pull your boat up that REALLY steep ramp.
Definately a 242 t-case. So, with the 4wd it would act like my '01 and awd? For snow, the 4wd lock is ok for on road driving? I suppose that i could assume that the t-case is in 4wd so i can reinstall the shift linkage where it is and i should be able to get full range of motion...ot is it suggested to find 4lo and go from there?
Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would stay out of 4 lock, unless the roads were completely covered in snow. The 4wd selection should prove perfectly well for most any on-road driving conditions, unless, of course, you get stuck.... the Hi lock.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:10 PM
sporta
Veteran

As an update, I got the linkage sorted out thanks for all the help. Oh, and before I forget, the rubber bushing for the linkage can be obtained at O'Riley's Auto parts for about $10...as compared to the stealership where one was $19...If I can find the part number from O'Riley's I will post it...it was simply hanging on the blister pack isle with all the generic parts.

Thanks again for the help...one step closer to getting Red on the road again!

Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by sporta
Does anyone have a copy of the Owner's Manual (glove box type) that they can scan or share the transfer case section with me? Trying to figure out the shift pattern on the new to us 2000 Durango...when we picked it up, it was missing the linkage between the shift lever and the t-case...when I was looking at the pattern on the selector sticker it appeared not to have a 2wd/Awd position and IF I read it correctly, 4lo was all the way forward...

Thanks in advance

Steve
Found one in pick-n-pull over the weekend...and it had the pouch as well...score $5 and now it's safely in the glove box lol

Quick Reply: 2000 dodge durango owners manual pdf