1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango can't figure it out.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:57 AM
john815
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 durango can't figure it out.....

I have a 98 durango and as i'm driving if a hit a little bump in the road the ABS and airbag light will come on. after they come on the gauges will freeze then the tach will drop then the speedometer and then the rest of the gauges will turn off. the odometer will start blinking while the lights are on. if i hit another bump in the road the lights will turn off and all the gauges will start working again all at once. i've replaced the trans speed sensor (was giving a code for that) and the rear abs sensor but that didn't do anything. any ideas would be great... can't figure this one out i know something has to be loose or something like that but i just don't know where to start looking. also i don't know if this is related but if i let the truck sit for a few days the battery will drain and i will need to jump it (new battery). thanks for the help.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the diodes in the Alternator.

Have the battery load tested and the alternator checked for correct voltage output.

Most Auto Zones or www.cskauto.com (Basiclly Checker Auto Parts) will do this for free. If you need to by a battery let me recommend DuraLast (Gold Series) from Auto Zone or a (new only) Alternator which again I would recommend DuraLast.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 AM
john815

the battery is a brand new optima red top and the alternator is less then 4 months old. but thats not really what i'm worried about. all of the gauges turning off is kind of annoying any ideas on that? seems to happen when i'm driving and i hit and little bump. oh and i forgot to say before it has the 5.2 and its 4 wheel drive. thanks.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM
rvaneck

I am having the same problem with my 02 Durango.
guages go down or the airbag light comes on or the abs light comes on. The odom blink and shows no bus. I can hit my dash like the Fonz and it pops back up. I haven't found a soution yet. Replaced the PCM, but didn't help. I?f you find anything ut let me know.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM
dxloat
Veteran

I had problems with my 4 wheel ABS module. Lost speedo, cruise, and had codes for speed sensor. Seems speedo signal goes through that module. I solved my problem with a used module.

Quick Reply: 98 durango can't figure it out.....