1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Autolite Copper plugs ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iridium is a type of super dense material. Part of the Plantinum family on the element table. So high voltage and heat should not be an issue. This why the long warranty life of these plugs?

Here is a full explantion of what Iridium is from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium

The site says this stuff is made for high temps. Highly durable material.

Hydra,

It may be possible that Iridium may give you better performance if not at least much longer life than the regular plugs when paired with your MSD ignition?

Here is an except notes from wiki:

Iridium (pronounced /ɪˈrɪdiəm/) is the chemical element with atomic number 77, and is represented by the symbol Ir. A very hard, brittle, silvery-white transition metal of the platinum family, iridium is the second densest element and is the most corrosion-resistant metal, even at temperatures as high as 2000 °C

Its resistance to arc erosion makes iridium alloys ideal for electrical contacts for spark plugs.[54][55]

Last edited by Kensai; 10-21-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds good enough to try. I'll do it on the next change out but I just did it Oct. 1st so it will have to wait.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact they're "brittle". I know you really like them and so has everyone else. I accually sounds like it could deal with the added heat I have and want. I'm gettin itchy.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Kensai
Champion

Hydra,

The fact the iridium can be brittle is only true in its purest form I assume. But when mixed in with other metals, it becomes a super strong durable alloy. If you read wiki, Iridium is super rare, so I would doubt the tip of the spark plug is pure iridium. Problaby the tip is made of a super strong metal mixed with Iridium to make that tip super durable. I think Iridium is many times more expensive than plantinum if you have a solid bullion of it.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM
gusheidisky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kensai,

what's the code number for the Champion Iridiums that you installed?

I also have a 2000 5.9L R/T, about 154K miles, no engine mods. It starts right up, hot or cold, after sitting for a minute, or a week or two. Plugs were last replaced a long time ago, I think with platinums of some kind, but I don't remember exactly what. Wires, cap, and rotor are Mopar replacement.

Thanks,

- Roger

Old 10-23-2008, 12:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Should be Champion part # 9203

The plugs are expensive so figure about $8 a plug

Wires, cap, and rotor are Mopar replacement.
Wires should be OEM or I like the MSD red 8.5mm for performance

Cap and rotor can be OEM or I like the Auto Zone BRASS contact upgrade for durability

Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

NOTHING WRONG WITH AUTOLITE COPPERS! Half the ram section runs them and 3/4 of the dakota section runs them, there's only been a hand full that complain... I ran the 3923's in my 06 3.7 dakota when we had it, extremely pleased. Still run autolites in the Jheep, very pleased.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Kensai
Champion

I don't recall what the numbers are. I would go with what Hydra posted. Otherwise, you can go to your local NAPA store and they can give you the code. I bought my IR's champion plugs from NAPA.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as they react excellent with the engine that's all I am concerned with. If their throttle responce time is quicker then that is always a plus.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Angry

Like I said, " I don't like them "

From experience I've had TOO many problems with them and don't agree how they run in our 5.2L and 5.9L.

If you want to run them so be it!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Durango03
Veteran

OK, I think I got the answer I was looking for. Now we are all just arguing. Basically, noone has had problems with IR plugs, OEM and the TRUCK Plugs. Some people have had problems with copper and some havent. ALOT have had probs with Platinum (for the 4.7) So basically survey says....... go OEM, IR, or TRUCK! Now lets coninue on with our lives and play nice.... lol

Quick Reply: Autolite Copper plugs ok?