1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Autolite Copper plugs ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ohhhh man I was just getting fired up.....LOL

BTW<------Platinum does not work in the 5.9L and 5.2L either!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:27 PM
occupant
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Ma Mopar sell OEM plugs? Did the Autolites come factory on these trucks, or was there something else factory-installed? I want to chanfe the plugs in my junkyard engine before we drive it much more, although it is silky smooth power as is.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

The OEM is Champion Regular Copper Plugs.

The upgrades are all Champion ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

Champion Truck Plugs or Champion Iridium Plugs. The OEM Champion Plugs work very good and they are only about $2 bucks a piece. The Trucks are about $2.50, and the Iridium are about $8 bucks a piece.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:34 PM
occupant
Amateur

Well I can't see much reason to go with an upgraded plug since it is a simple 318 with an EFI intake strapped on top. The only car I've owned lately that required platinums (well, came with them factory) was my wife's '99 Taurus we got rid of last fall.

Any noticeable differences between the straight copper and the Truck plugs? Anything desireable to warrant the price difference?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Durango03
Veteran

Then go with stock. I, for 1, would go with the suggestions these guys give. I have learned alot from this site from different members and it has to do with the fact that they have tested the same questions you are asking now. I have gone from a 14mpg 4.7L Durango STOCK, to a 17mpg 4.7L Durango just by using truck plugs, synthetic oil change, and a K&N drop in filter. Theres alot to be learned here and instead of questioning, just try it, They Already Have!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Thanks Sean,

Now I really like the Champion Truck Plugs. Even on the OEM stocker motor before my upgrades the Truck plugs where overall better than the Coppers. You want to keep the plugs changed out every year for maximum performance and overall maintenance of the motor. The Copper usually won't go over 10-15K. The Truck Plugs (for 0.50 cents more) burn better for more power, cleaner burn, and MPG's. The Truck plugs are a 15K change life. We are still testing Iridium.

If that were my truck I would through Champion Truck Plugs in. Heck, that’s what I run as well. Other than than I'd also do what Sean suggested.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:53 AM
SchoolBus

I dont have a 5.9, i have the 4.7 but i find NGK V-power's to be working very well. always used them in all of my cars. Including the D,

Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I for one went from stockers, to truck plugs, and now on Iridium truck plugs. I can tell you from my personal experience, I did not see much improvement between stock and truck other than the truck lasting a little longer. Switching from truck to Iridium, I see a BIG difference on how the engine performs. Mainly at idle. I can flick the ignition switch and it can startup right away. Before, I would have to hold it down a couple of seconds to fire up.

Also, at idle, before iridium, I can feel a slight hesitation or miss on the engine when running idle. With Iridium, I feel absolutely nothing. They say the Iridium is supposed to be good to 100k miles before replacement. I have so far, only have 25k miles on them. The plugs still look brand new. Completely clean of any debris or contaminant on the tips. I guess it is because the super dense iridium tungsten being a super fine pencil point tip, it burns off anything attempting to stick to it.

Overall driving, it responds very well across all power bands. Put the petal to the floor and engine quickly responds with these plugs.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

WOW 25K and still rolling!

Glad to see their working out.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hydrashocker I thought you used Champion Iridium plugs?

I have been running Champion Iridium plugs for about 5000 miles so far. They say 100,000 out of them, we will see on that, but so far so good and I am happy with them.

Quick Reply: Autolite Copper plugs ok?