1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Autolite Copper plugs ok?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Plats for about 6 months and my rig runs great. I only gained about 2-3 miles per gallon though on mileage vs. fuel. I just had Autozone look up the part and I also needed pre-gaped as I never gaped plugs before.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999_Durango_SLT
I am running Plats for about 6 months and my rig runs great. I only gained about 2-3 miles per gallon though on mileage vs. fuel. I just had Autozone look up the part and I also needed pre-gaped as I never gaped plugs before.
you havnt had problems YET, dont worry, they will come, especially in the older style 5.x series engines, if you do all highway driving it will take quite a while for the issues to show up since a highway engine seems to run cleaner (fewer carbon deposits bc it seems to burn the fuel better) than something that is run around town.

and i do NOT believe you gained 2-3 miles per gallon by changing your spark plugs

Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM
1999_Durango_SLT
Professional

Well if I could get Champions or Autolite pre-gaped I would. Through Autozone this was an OEM replacement. The plugs aren't split fire or such just a regular looking plug.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

even if the plugs come 'pre gapped' i would still suggest checking it yourself as it is very easy to mess it up, drop the plug, or something bumps into it and the gap COULD be changed

although i have been lucky enough that my plugs where all 'pre-gapped' to .040 last time i did them

Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok,

on the 4.7L platinum has been used and has gotten through, however I still would not run them because the motor was never designed to run them period!

Now on the 5.2L and 5.9L motors, they simply run like crap!

Do what you will, but you have been warned. As for 2-3 MPG......LOL......that's most likely because you needed a tune up REALLY bad in the first place so anything would help! We can talk about spark plugs all day long just like your favorite oil, but what actually works you say? Well Champion Coppers have been proven and Billions of money invested in building the motor to run them a specific way.

But hey, let a Auto parts store tech tell you what is better after all they are told to offer them by paying companies targeting it's stores for that sell their products with lower costs on product if they tell you to buy them first! Well, I'll take the Billions invested in the design of the motor from Chrysler and use the cheapo Champion plugs.

But personally speaking, I would not run Platinum or Iridium simply because of the basics, the motor was not designed to run them. They were designed to rum the cheapo $2 Champion Copper plugs. Now if you change the parameters of the motor and build it then the door is open, but OEM.......LOL......I would do what they do.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 AM
durango128

when in doubt, follow directions from your owners manual.....dodge wont steer you wrong on THERE vehicles......they want you to be a repeat customer......if they cause you to screw your ride, they lose the business...they wont do that to them selves or you.....use factory recomended plugs like hydrashocker is saying....lol

Old 08-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Turgurlas

I know this is an old thread.

To Hydra.
I appreciate your knowledge on this subject, sounds to me you really know your business.
I have visited the " http://championsparkplugs.com " website and I gave them my vehicle information. They recommended four type of plugs for my vehicle.
From top class to lower is as stated.

Champion Iridium : Stock number 9203 : Part number 9203 :
Champion Single Platinum : Stock number 3436 : Part number 3436 :
Champion Double Platinum : Stock number 7436 : Part number 7436 :
Champion Traditional Spark Plug : Stock Number 436 : Part number RC12LC4 :

All ranging in price from highest to lowest. I know that in earlier posts on this thread, people have stated not to get Platinum plugs. I agree too.
But my question is that out of those four plugs, I know of three that are Platinum.
Including the Iridium which is a higher grade of Platinum. Is the Champion Traditional Spark Plug also Platinum based?

I am kind of surprised that they didn't recommend the Truck plugs that you have mentioned.
I would figure the Champion website would suggest something other than Platinum for my kind of vehicle.
What kind of plug would be best for my vehicle?

Like it was posted earlier I have "Stumbled" on this Forum Via the Web. But once I did.
I became addicted to vast knowledge of not only my vehicle but others as well.
Makes me Very happy to have the vehicle that i have, knowing what all I can do for it from A forum like this.

Oh and what about this From Autozone : http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...3980_443017_0_
Whats your thoughts on A plug like this?

My vehicle Info:
1998 Dodge Dakota
V8 - 5.2L 4X4

Last edited by Turgurlas; 08-19-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 PM
laz45
Veteran

If you have an Accel ingition go for the Accel plugs,just to match the aftermarket components.....if you have the stock ignition use the plugs hydra and sharp and everyone else here advises,the real beauty of it is they run perfect and last longer...and cost less, than any of the other plugs....at the risk of being redundant,the engine was designed to run on the Champion Coppers... Wow,thread's been ressurected twice??....

Last edited by laz45; 08-19-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Another call out.......LOL.......I don't always get on here so a direct PM is better then a call out, and it follows the rules as well.

To answer your question. The regular Cheap Champions Coppers work great, just don't last that long, well against the others you listed. I replace mine every 15k and I use the cheap Champion Coppers regardless. Now a lot of people like the Iridium plug and say it works great, but to me I'm going to run a stock motor stock, besides I'm not spending that amount of cash to try to save a bit down the road. Try what you want but it if were me then I would go the cheap stock ones.

Now a built motor, well that's different, and you have to play with those.

Accel plugs are ok, but more designed to be ran with Accel's set up. Problem is I don't like them even though they are owned by MSD now, in which I love MSD products. Still, I would not buy them if I can get away with it. A lot of people have the same issues with Accel, when they go they go without warning.

Now onto the Champion Truck Plug. I think they may have stopped making them as they seem harder and harder to find, also to mention they don't list them on their site anymore?

Quick Reply: Autolite Copper plugs ok?