1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

that evil HVAC box

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:19 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mean Green I thought that electrolysis only happens if current is finding a way to ground through the heater core/ radiator. It doesn't appear that the heater core would be touching anything to make it grounded.

I'm not too sure about the car but on our boat we have consistent battles with electrolysis. The trim cylinders for the outdrives usually get eaten away every 3 years. We have tried grounding everything but nothing works so its just a reality from leaving it in the water for 5 months a year. I dont know how resistant my aluminum heater core will be compared to the old copper one. The copper one started leaking when it was 3-4 years old and we have lived with it for too many years.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coolant carries the electricity just fine through there. It will take a while but it will go.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Wigtail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andyg
When you did yours, did every stud from the hvac box through the firewall just spin with the nut? It was a major pain in the butt to have to hold all the studs with pliers while working a wrench around them.

I still need to get my a/c evacuated/recharged. any ideas if the system will be harmed if I wait a week to do that? I know that the compressor won't engage since there is no refrigerant.
It's important to pull a good long vacuum on the system before charging, at least 30 minutes vacuuming, not just holding a vacuum. This will boil out the moisture and move it out of the system. It wouldn't hurt to add a little pag oil, especially if you lost a little bit when discharging.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Wigtail

Does the heater really have to come all the way out or can you take the top off the heater box and replace the core that way?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 AM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wigtail
Does the heater really have to come all the way out or can you take the top off the heater box and replace the core that way?
I am not sure if it can stay in the car. I broke my box in a few places so it had to come out to get glued back together.

And for the a/c it still hasn't been charged. I have been way too busy with work. But I am aware about holding the vacuum for a long itme.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's gotta come all the way out.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Wigtail
Default Blind devil come out!

200 Durango v6
For me, it was easier to tilt the dash back, pull the hvac box back a bit roll it towards the front 1/4 roll and bring it up and out the passenger side. More pics and info available from wigtail@hotmail.com

Attached Thumbnails that evil HVAC box-100_5039.jpg  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Wigtail

I didn't take the 4x4 shifter or console tray out. I would have had much more room had i taken time to loosen up the drivers seat and move it back a few more inches. The steering column gets tight up against the seat. You have to push the column and dash down as far as it will go on drivers side. The seat being loose would help.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Wigtail

When you get the heater box out, take the little metal arm and nut off the flapper shaft. The pushnut can stay or go. I took it off so it would be easier to reassemble.

Quick Reply: that evil HVAC box