Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

make a new thread, or actually read this one

Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
DurangoDude75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone switched over to full synthetic in their rig? I am thinking of switching to amsoil in motor, tranny, and axles to increase MPG and free up HP. Also thinking of a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust on a 5.9. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Lewi

I have switched all of mine over to AMSOIL. Looking for more longevity and know that I will get it.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
MRob11

Anyone know of any good fuel or engine oil addatives that would help clean the engine and hopefully get some better mileage out of it?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

additives dont help w/ anything except causing problems and costing you money, the only one which MIGHT do any good is seafoam, but even that will not help you with mileage

Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
tmdairy

I was wondering what would be the best performance mod to do next on my rig?
its the 2000 5.9l already with 3in cat-back exhaust, k&N cold air, and superchips programmer at 91 octane

Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM
tomwic

Originally Posted by MRob11
Anyone know of any good fuel or engine oil addatives that would help clean the engine and hopefully get some better mileage out of it?
The best (and cheapest) thing you can purchase to increase MPG is an air compressor to keep your tires properly inflated.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I just switched the tranny fluid to the new ATF-4, huge difference in transmission performance. Don't have a shop flush it. If you have a transcooler a easy way to get all the fluid changed is drop the pan, put in the appropriate amount to fill it. Then take off the in line for the cooler. Simultaneously pour in new fluid and let the transmission fill a jug off the in line. Stop after it looks like the jug is filled to a quart you don't want to run the trans out of fluid. Someone need to be in the vehicle. This is a 3 person job so gets some friends and beer.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ladies and Gent's,

This tread isn't about "what can I do" this thread is about what you "CAN" do to free up HP, Torque, and give longevity to your investment. Questions like "what oil to use" and "this and that" need to have their own thread. There is getting too much "this and that" in this thread and plugging it up with useless posts.

If everyone actually reads all the pages in this thread your questions will most likely be answered. If not start a new thread!

Again in post #1 the rules were given:

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I would like to open a thread that will discuss the options of increasing fuel mpg’s as well longevity to the drive train. This is not just a performance or mpg thread! This thread is indicative to the long time owner and user not just running the ¼ mile or how many mpg’s one can get!

This should also include cost efficient ways of completing performance mod’s to accomplish these options. Back yard mechanics welcome! I would like to keep these upgrades under $500 per mod. Obviously there are going to be acceptations to the rule if this goes into large upgrades such as oversized torque converters, heads and ect. But let’s try to keep it simple and cost efficient. Remember that we are looking for mainly longevity, performance, horse power, torque, smoothness, and ideal overall toughness. Part numbers and brands would be very helpful.

Remember to include what models you are referring to as this will be used for searching for our users.

Remember the DIY thread stickied to the top of the section for instructions to many issues.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Radar696
Rookie

Okay Hydra I've been reading through this thread but I would like to narrow you down just a little bit.

I have a 99 D with the 5.2, about 179,000 miles at the moment and with my job I'm running anywhere from 2000 miles and up per month.

What I would like is to see an increase in torque at cruising speed.
Say anywhere from 1800 to 2200 rpm.

This is the area where I'm running at highway speed.
I'm thinking for me I would see the best return by fixing it so my truck works less when cruising.
Just attempting to get back and forth to the job site.

Only a couple of things have been done so far, Flowmaster series 70 muffler, which I love and a K&N filter in the factory air box.

Oh, full synthetic oil in the engine and trans.

Quick Reply: Longevity & Power Of Your Rig!