1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Control Arm Bushings - Do Or Not Do

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM
United1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm Bushings - Do Or Not Do

I am going to do my ball joints, sway bar bushings and tie rod ends on my 2000, 122K Durango. Since it will be torn down most of the way, I am contemplating pulling the arms and replacing the control arm bushings (conditions looks to be OK, not great but so-so).
Any thoughts or anything to be concerned about? I've read that they are not fun, but can be done. Seems most people burn out the old ones. Is there any tension on the control arm from the torsion bar or is that essentially zero if the control arm hangs down? Any thing to be careful of if pulling the arms?
Thanks

Old 11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's alot easier to replace the whole control arm, unless you have a friend with a press

Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Burning them out is the only way to replace them with poly ones.

Tortion bars need to be adjusted down to remove torque.

Make sure you install really good lower ball joints because you need a press that you can buy or rent and they are a MF to do so do them right the first time. Remember to get ones with grease zerks. Upper can be anything because they can be replaced in 5 min. But as always I like the good ones. MOOG makes a good one.

CA bushings are a *(^%$^&)*))&@ so let me recommend a good bottle of whiskey and a warm dry place to work. Take some pic's please!

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Moogs. Just got them myself.

IndyDurango

Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
United1
Professional

There is no question, MOOG all around. I figure if I am going thru all that work and time, I am going to do it right. It's not worth saving a few dollars and have to worry about doing it again anytime soon. Also, lucky me, I do have a friend with a press, which is why I figured I would do the bushings too. Problem is, I cannot find lower control arm bushings anywhere (I know others have said that as well). I don't want to replace the entire arm, I want to replace the bushings on my perfectly good arms.

Anyone have a source or idea for lower control arm bushings? I am going to do this in the next couple of weeks, before it gets too cold out. And for you Hydra, lots of pics.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude If anyone finds them I want to know also. I have energy suspension uppers and am waiting to find the bottoms.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 AM
v8streetracin
Rookie

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushings - Do Or Not Do