1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Water leak..? Rear Jack compartment..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM
pradesj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak..? Rear Jack compartment..

Hello all, I've got a water leak somewhere that is filling up my rear storage compartment where the jack is stored...? Any ideas..? I hear rumor that there's a TSB about water leaking from some side cowling??

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of such a thing... Look into the plug being shot where you can lower the spare. Other than that look for rust that finally made it through and make sure (if you have a 98-99) that the rear windshield washer fluid reservoir isn't leaking.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 AM
pradesj

Yep, It's a 98, the plug seems intact and the washer fluid unit also seems ok. It was parked at a slight nose up angle for a couple of weeks (only 5-10%)... I had a pretty good amount on water in the jack storage compartment...? I'm puzzled as well, hopefully someone else has dealt with the issue and can give me some advice as to how to solve the problem. Thanks for the thoughts!

Last edited by pradesj; 11-17-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: gammar
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pradesj
Yep, It's a 98, the plug seems intact and the washer fluid unit also seems ok. It was parked at a slight nose up angle for a couple of weeks (only 5-10%)... I had a pretty good amount on water in the jack storage compartment...? I'm puzzled as well, hopefully someone else has dealt with the issue and can give me some advice as to how to solve the problem. Thanks for the thoughts!
Few spots

-Of course rear seal
-Vents behind the tail lights
-Hatch handle
-Window seal
-Rear windshield washer... You know where you pour the fluid in? (right side support when hatch open) if the hose disconnects to fill/vent and the cap is not sealing right, any water that flows on that channel will be coming in... (Guilty)

Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
sandwalker

Do you get water in that cargo compartment only when it rains? If yes, then I had the same problem in my '98 Durango. I found that the water was coming in from behind the rear hatch washer fluid reservoir. I guess through the hole the hose runs through. I solved it by shooting a sealant, like silicone caulking, behind the reservoir. It has been dry ever since.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM
pradesj

Sandwalker, you're the man! THANKS! I've been eyeballing that area. It seems like the rear washer fill tank seemed kind of suspect. How does the black plastic fill tank w/cover come off the pillar? Is there a tube connecting the upper fill tank to the lower tank? Looks like I have a Saturday project........

Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 PM
sandwalker

I could never figure out how to remove the washer fill tank. But you don't need to. I just ran a bead of caulk all around it. It works fine, takes minutes, and the cargo area is bone dry.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
pradesj

Well after an afternoon of investigation I found the leak... The drivers side rear fixed window glass was loose. It was traveling along the headliner down the D pillar and into the cargo compartment. I tightened the nuts that hold the glass and so far no more leaks... Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM
shermdo

I now have this very same problem on my '98 Durango - water in the storage compartment. I already did a silicone job on the window washer fill thing-a-ma-jobber but I will do more. I think I'll check out both rear side windows as well.

Thanks - isn't the internet great!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If your storage compartment is filled with washer fluid then it's a cracked reservoir leaking or bad down pipe from the filler to the reservoir.

The reservoir on the 1998-1999 is located under the hatch gate. There is a hose that goes from the filler all the way down to the floor where the reservoir is on behind the panel on the inside of the truck directly below the filler. If there is a leak then it flows into the storage compartment. To get to it you have to remove the small panel going up the hatch.

Quick Reply: Water leak..? Rear Jack compartment..