1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 4.7 common o2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're always happy to help. Now go throttle someone to get some of your money back.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:31 AM
esdaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys i have been fighting this same issue,, replaced 4 sensors, then on last one replaced the p/s powersteering,,, and ran brake cleaner all up and down the lines blowing it our with air nozzle and letting it also set over night, now same problem,, there are a lot of post out there on this, why isnt dodge trying to fix it?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a safety issue like the ball joints. That's why.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by esdaddy
why isnt dodge trying to fix it?
They did on the newer models as far as I understand.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Luv-n-my-Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My fix for this problem

Hi all. I realize this and old discussion but I thought I would share how I fixed this problem in my 2000 Durango so that maybe others won't spend $1500 trying to fix it...
First, I did A LOT of research and happened upon this forum which is where I got the idea to check my own vehicle. I was getting the p0171 and p0172 codes. Terrible gas mileage and black soot spewing from the tail pipe...
I also read of some people using a bypass wire to go straight from the O2 sensor to the PCM. I personally don't like doing that since the chance is there of blowing the PCM.
What I did was simple and pretty cheap.

MAKE SURE YOU GET AN O2 SENSOR REMOVAL TOOL!!! They make the job much easier since apparently Dodge wasn't thinking when they were drawing out where everything will go...

First I replaced the Power Steering Switch of course.

Next I replaced BOTH the up and down stream O2 sensors.

While they were apart I cleaned the harness connectors very well with some Brake Cleaner.

I then applied some liquid electric tape, use Starbrite brand if you can, others tend to harden to concrete over time, to the harness side of the connector to reduce wicking into the connector.

I then applied some Dielectric grease to the inside of the connector. Be sure not to use to much and disconnect and connect the connector a few times to make sure there is metal on metal contact or you may get false codes.

Next I cut a small drain hole into the harness jacket to allow any PS fluid to possibly drain before reaching the connector.

After reassembling and letting the old built up soot wear out I have had no more problems. I have put over 1000 miles on it with no Check Engine light. Gas mileage is back up and no more soot...
Total cost was about $250 and a couple hours of my time.
Hope this helps someone out there...

Quick Reply: 2000 4.7 common o2 problem