1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Or 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
95jeepguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango Or 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello all,
i just need some opinions before if make some decisions. Right now i'm stuck with a 1995 jeep cherokee sport 2 wheel drive. I'm planning on getting a used SUV and saw a nice 2001 durango with 86k miles on it. I like the body style but heard very bad comments about the durango's, some saying it has sludge problems,IFS, Lots of mechanic problems?, is that why the sell for so cheap?
I was thinking of just getting a grand cherokee since it's a little more luxury with the 4x4. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well, the 2001 durango, which engine does it have, is it 4x4, or 2wd?, some details on the truck would help us to help you

but IMO if the durango is in good mechanical condition i would jump on it, mine has 79k on it (2002) and has NEVER been in for work except for the balljoint recall, so the durangos are VERY solid trucks, and believe me some of the stuff i have done to mine should never have been done to it , and the 2002 cherokee, well lets just say i have some friends that were VERY effective at killing that generation of them but of course they really beat on it offroad and in all conditions which did not help.

so get us some more details and we will give you more information to help you out

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
95jeepguy
Default More Info

The durango i was looking at was a 2002 durango SLT:
4x4
5.9 Liter(automatic)
v8
It has 90k and asking price is 5,000

And the other one was a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Unlimited:
4x4
4.7Liter,I6
v8
Auto 5speed
leather

this one is real nice , it has 80k and asking 7,000

Don't really know which one to get??

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1st, the jeep I6 is 4.0L, the 4.7 is a v8, just FYI, im assuming thats a typo, just dontknow which one you meant

and id get the durango of the two, it will have more power, and if youplan to tow with it, the durango will handle it better, the 5.9l engine is basically bullit proof, but check to be sure that it has the 46re transmission, it is better than the 44re(the 44re tends to not last behind the v8s), and the sludge problem you heard about is not really an issue if you take care of it, but the coplaints come from owners w/ the 4.7l v8 engine, NOT the 5.x series engines so the durango will not have an issue there,

by the same token if the jeep has the 4.0l I6 that engine is immortal(or pretty damnd close to it when taken care of), but may be a little underpowered in the grand cherokee, assuming i have the right body style in mind, and the trannys tend to last longer w/ the 4.0L I6

o and as a standard that i just need to say, i would drive them both to see how they handle, how they idle, how the engine responds, ect, make sure that the 4wd is working correctly and inspect thoroughly for rust and any other damage that might be present under the surface,

i hope i was helpful, and sorry for the long winded post but just tried to give you as much information as i have good luck and let us know how it goes

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 12-22-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are basically the same thing when you are looking at the specs just different looking vehicles. I am almost 100% sure the I6 is not offered in the Grand Cherokees. just the regular Cherokees. Go with whichever one floats your boat, both have solid engines. The 5.9 has the best track record of the two though. I personally love both of them but the D is more my style unless you are talking about the latest gen of Grand Cherokees. Those things look awesome.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
deerang
All Star

the I6 is offered in the Grand Cherokee, my parents had a '00 with it..

The only reasons they sold it and went with the Durango was the Durango had higher towing, and a third row of seating..

The GC was an awesome vehicle, i found it more comfortable, and more luxious than the Durango, and prolly got better mileage.. However, it doesn't have the interior space, or towing capabilites as the Durango..

It really depends what you wanna do with it.. let us know what your plans are

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 AM
95jeepguy

i appreciate your opinion, thanks I will start looking soon, after the snow is gone.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Facory
Professional

IMHO the Durango would be the better choice hands down. It's built tougher, has more interior room, more all 'round power and versatility. By 2002 Dodge has rid the Durango of most things that were problematic. I wouldn't trade mine for any other SUV on the street.

Last edited by Facory; 12-27-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-28-2008, 04:28 PM
SchoolBus

First off, what are you lookin for with this vehicle?

the Durango, ups and downs
-Towing capacity (specially with the 5.9)
-Interior space, 3rd row seating
-Stout rear axle
-Body on frame
Lows
-IFS
-aftermarket

Grand cherokee (WJ)
-Solid front axle (dana 30)
-All wheel disc brakes
-aftermarket
Lows
-Dana 35 rear axle (C-clip style can be a pain)
-Unibody

The durango comes with the 4.7 or the 5.9 in 2001+
The WJ comes with the 4.0liter or the 4.7 or the 4.7HO

Both of these rigs, side by side, with the 4.7 are very close to each other in the towing capacity field, the durango can pull a bit more, due to the frame, but the durango is NOT a full sized SUV, there for if your looking to Really Haul a big load, look into something with a bit more control. Like a Tahoo or an Expedition.

Both vehicles are very nice, i chose the durango because i have kids.. alot of them..
If i didnt have twins on the way, I would of gone with the Grand cherokee, Im into jeeps, i love wheelin and i rarely need to tow more then a few thousand pounds.
Lifting a jeep is alot easier then lifting a durango, there for i ended up with a pavement pounder that flexes like a lowered honda.

Either vehicle will be reliable, dependable, and get about the same fuel mileage.
I suggest Looking into JeepForums to get an equal review.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Or 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee