1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New owner, Bunch of friggin questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM
SchoolBus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, Bunch of friggin questions

Hello all, picked up a 2001 SLT, 4.7 4x4

I have a bunch of questions, I could probably answer most of these by searching, but i have noticed this section is slow, so maybe i'll turn a few wheels.

First question, Tire size, i can fit 265/75/16s, will the 2" Torsion lift be enough to fit a 285? i would guess not, since the Backspacing of the rim would make a 285 rub the frame rails?

Second question, Tires, i have narrowed my choices down to 3, im an avid wheeler with a jeep, so im lookin for something mildly aggressive.
-Bridgestone dueler revo (I have had alot of good experience w/them)
-TrXus M/T(really good snow/mud tire,love them! but almost to aggressive)
-Yoko Geo' A/t-s (lots of good reviews, but not very aggressive offroad)
Whats your Vote?

Third question, Butt-warmers, mine dont work. bought the D that way, the HIGH indicators just blink for about 30 seconds. Owners manual says see dealership,...yeah...

fourth question, Fog lights, mine have been replaced with some cheapo blue ones, now ones toast, what can i get aftermarket, thats decent, that fits the stock location.

fifth question, what aftermarket deck do you reccomend that will sync with the steering wheel controls. (or has an available converter)

sixth question, where do i buy the shackles for the Torsion/shackle lift.

seventh question, Brakes, whats a good upgrade for the front? mine are warpped pretty bad, time to replace (hey, tires/brakes/stereo, its tax time)
Im lookin for a good Rotor/Pad combo..

Eight question, anyone else deal with high oil consumption in the 4.7? i go threw a quart or two a month. NO leaks, No blue smoke.

First statement, Thanks for any and all answers! so far i love this rig, and i need to start researching things to make it better!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by SchoolBus
seventh question, Brakes, whats a good upgrade for the front? mine are warpped pretty bad, time to replace (hey, tires/brakes/stereo, its tax time)

First statement, Thanks for any and all answers! so far i love this rig, and i need to start researching things to make it better!

Welcome to the board!

The brakes is the only one of those I can answer so here ya go:

I recomend OEM rotors and either Hawk HP or Hawk SuperDuty pads. The SuperDuty pads are more aggresive and meant more for towing but I have found they work quite well even when the D is empty and not towing.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a bunch of questions, I could probably answer most of these by searching, but i have noticed this section is slow, so maybe i'll turn a few wheels.

First question, Tire size, i can fit 265/75/16s, will the 2" Torsion lift be enough to fit a 285? i would guess not, since the Backspacing of the rim would make a 285 rub the frame rails?

Second question, Tires, i have narrowed my choices down to 3, im an avid wheeler with a jeep, so im lookin for something mildly aggressive.
Whats your Vote?

Third question, Butt-warmers, mine dont work. bought the D that way, the HIGH indicators just blink for about 30 seconds. Owners manual says see dealership,...yeah...

fourth question, Fog lights, mine have been replaced with some cheapo blue ones, now ones toast, what can i get aftermarket, thats decent, that fits the stock location.

fifth question, what aftermarket deck do you reccomend that will sync with the steering wheel controls. (or has an available converter)

Eight question, anyone else deal with high oil consumption in the 4.7? i go threw a quart or two a month. NO leaks, No blue smoke.

Here goes,

1st 31" is the largest size you can fit at stock height. With the 2" t/s lift you should be fine with a 32" tire.

2nd I've had no experience with the tires you've listed but I'm very happy with my BFG's. They aren't good for mud but everything else is very good IMHO.

3rd It's the butt warmers. They have to be replaced and apparently they are a PITA.

4th I'm not sure about aftermarket but maybe try your local junkyard/pick n pull.

5th I'm not an audiophile by any means but I believe that any newer deck with a some special harness will allow you to use the steering wheel controls.

6th Use the search button for t/s lift. I think that summit sells them but I can't remember the cheapest place online anymore. They are 2" drop shackles for a chevy pickup.

7th I just did ceramic pads with $30 el cheapo rotors and am very happy with them. If you do a lot of towing I hear that ceramics are no good but I don't tow so I'm not worried about that personally.

8th I have the 5.9

Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 PM
a4x44ted
Rookie

For #6, Google "Belltech 6400". Those are the shackles I used.
Welcome and good luck.
Ted

Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the butt warmers as you called them have a break in the line, my drivers side has the same problem, you can buy a replacement pad for them somewhere and cut the wires off the old one to wire int he new one, but idk where, and honestly, not that big of a deal to me so im not bother ing with it, (a new seat is like 350 w/ the heat built in, . . . umm NO THANKS )

Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 PM
SchoolBus

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
the butt warmers as you called them have a break in the line, my drivers side has the same problem, you can buy a replacement pad for them somewhere and cut the wires off the old one to wire int he new one, but idk where, and honestly, not that big of a deal to me so im not bother ing with it, (a new seat is like 350 w/ the heat built in, . . . umm NO THANKS )
$350 a seat.. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahaha
hahahahahaha

ahhhh screw that.....

Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Mean Green
Champion

You could also see about a junkyard with working seat heaters.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Whats your Vote?

1. 31X10.5 LT 15's are OEM or the tortion lift max size is 32X10.5 LT15's.

2. Neither. I would go strait for the BFG KO series.

3. Dealer part of junk yard.

4. You can find the OEM versions on Ebay with all hardware included.

5. Look here. http://crutchfield.com./

6. Many dealers sell them. You can look at www.summit racing or similar site. There are two. The smaller one makes the front level. The larger one makes the front nose down apperence (OEM).

7. Good drilled rotors and Gold Edition pads from Auto Zone. Not Ceramic's. The regular Gold edition dusts less then ceramics. Great for all aroud and towing.
Duralast Gold / Brake Pads - Front DG820 Note:Semi-metallic

8. That is high oil consumtion but I go thruogh 1 qt a month and thats not towing. If you use it oh well. It's not going to hurt just got to keep an eye on it. Make sure you do your oil changes at 3000 mies even with Fully Synthetic on that motor because of oil sluge issues.

9. Do the searching like everyone else.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-17-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
SchoolBus

I have the 16" rims, so i have to convert the tire size to inchs, what is a 285/75/16 comparable to? a 32x11.50?

Im thinking about Getting a set of BFG KM2's as i love them on the jeep, but they're a tad spendy for a rig that will rarely see anything but pavement.

I hate the Original M/T and A/T from BFG, i've had the sidewalls give out on me 3 times, and been in one accident due to a bad A/T
But the KM2s are so much stronger

I have givin up on the seatwarmers.

right now, i gotta get it in to have the Power steering pressure switch replaced, and the Shifter lock recall done.

so far im pleased tho. its got a crazy amount of space when i fold both rows of seats down, i cant believe the space. feels like a cargo van.

It seems tho, i have bought the only durango that is not equiped with a tow package.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Eh, mine didn't have the tow package either.

Quick Reply: New owner, Bunch of friggin questions